Pickerel Eats Pellets!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
My Redfin/Grass Pickerel just took a couple of Hikari Massivore pellets this morning! I've had him on frozen Silversides and Krill for a while now, and he'd reached the point where he took broken pieces of them. Lately he's taken to at least initiating a feeding response on anything that landed within view, but he would pull up at the last minute on anything other than
meat. Until today! I always feed pellets or a fd food of some kind first to keep the assorted Sunfish that share the tank busy. That and putting its food right in front of the Pickerel have made competition for food a non-issue. Today he did the Pickerel thing and teleported halfway across the tank to take the first pellet that hit the water! I managed to get him to take a couple more by presenting them right in front of him. I'm still going to feed him his normal ration of fish and shrimp, but it's nice to know that in a pinch I don't have to! He's stuffed to the gills on Silversides now, but I'll try to get video of him taking pellets next time I feed.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
That's great news! It can be a real pain to get some predatory fish to switch over to pellets. I remember when my Florida Gar out of the blue decided it LOVED Hikarki Cichlid Gold when I returned home from vacation one summer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store