Pics of Distichidus Affinis (Tetra Family)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
These are in the family of Distichidus. The LARGEST Family of tetras.
Just to clarify the science a bit to avoid confusion:

Distichodus is not a family; it is a genus.

There is only one family containing tetras, and that is Characidae. However, not all Characins are tetras.

Sorry, pedantic interlude over, do carry on.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I tried flakes, cichlid excel pellets (love this), brineshrimp, food sticks on a daily basis. I never tried kril. What about those color enhancing pellets made to bring out colors out of cichlids? would that work? I know a few brands that is suppose to work wonders in bringing out colors in cichlids.

Im not scientifically inclined with names/genuse's, but you get the point. They are more closely related to neon tetras then barbs or koi.

vfrex

AC Members
Feb 26, 2002
New Jersey
Okay, a few things...

1) New Life Spectrum food is supposed to be UNBELIEVABLE. It can be hard to come by, but it is available for order from http://www.fishpost.com/drystock.html

People say the difference between the color of the fish on hikari or other foods vs. the color on NLS is night and day. No hormones, all natural.

2) Krill does have a pigment that brings out the reds in fish. Heres a site that mojo sent me to. As far as krill goes it has:

-Freeze Dried Krill Fines. I guess you can kinda use it as a supplement powder.
-Regular freeze dried krill
-Some HBH pellets with krill in them... "Soft & Moist w/ Krill"

http://www.jehmco.com/

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Thanks..I will try the soft krill pellets and the spectrum pellets and see what happens. I have to becareful how much I feed my fish. There is NEVER any leftover food, but the more I feed them, the more waste they produce= more nitrates. I think my tank hovers around 100ppm and that is including once a week 15 gallon water change. I have a fluidized bed filter and an emperor 400 on the tank. The main culprits in the water "pollution" would be my 3 8 inch tinfoils, 5 4-5 inch affinis, 5 inch Red tail shark, and my 8 inches yellow spot pleco. All the other fish are smaller and have reached there potential size.

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
umm....

Distichodus are NOT the largest family of tetras. They are an african species which belong to the family distochodontidae... there are MANY other characins which can outsize even the largest member of the family (lususso can get 24 inches). just a few examples are:

black and redbelly pacus
brycon sp.
salminus sp.
hydrolicus sp.
rhaphiodon sp.
hydrocynus sp.
hoplias sp.

there are quite a few more as well....

Nice pickup on the affinis... I saw 1 a while back, but held back on it as my brycon would have killed it in seconds :(

Now that I have an empty tank, I regret not buying it.

Good luck with the breeding,

Mattimeo

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
nice fish. not to my taste though..... i personally sort of prefer more colors. :)

what are the little black & white camouflaged ones in the background hiding around the pots? i think the one pic has one in a pot........

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
The yoyo's are 1 year old. If you buy them, buy more then 3!!! I bought 3 from a wholesale lfs. When I bought them, they were all the same size. HOWEVER, as the months rolled on, the 2 that you see have grown to a few inches. The other NEVER grown but stayed the same size. Not only that, he never really played around, and always seemed to be "resting". I have no clue what happened? anyone have an idea? Cant be stunted because, at the time, the tank wasnt even crowded.

ANYWAY, I really do like the fish from the family distichidus. The Affinis are a nice addition, however be warned that they do nip fins on occasion. Kind of funny though. One time an affini went after my red tail shark to nip (I was watching), this happened before and I guess the red tail suspected it cause he chased that fish for like 10 seconds.

Affinis will nip but are not aggressive at all to any fish. As I heard from other people though, various other fish from the disctidus family can hold there own against aggressive cichlids (dist. sex. as one)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store