Pictus Tankmates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kzuk72

AC Members
Dec 29, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Visit site
What are some good tankmates for a Pictus catfish?

I'm cycling a 50G that I got for Christmas right now, and am moving my Pictus over from my 20G.

I was thinking a school of Tiger Barbs, maybe another Pictus, maybe a Rainbow Shark or Red Tailed Shark....but other than those possibilities, I'm not sure. Any suggestions for fish, or combinations of fish?

Thanks.

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
I recomend getting a couple more pictus. They do good in small groups. Any schooling fish that is big enough to not fit in the pictus mouth would be good.

rohai

AC Members
Dec 27, 2002
Visit site
well

Tiger barbs should be good, you just have to make sure that all the fish in your tank will be too big to fit in the pictus' mouth. Buenos Aires tetras might be ok too, just make sure your water conditions are suited for both types I can't remember off the top of my head what kind of water Buenos Aires like although I know they are pretty hardy. Red Tailed sharks are very attractive fish but mine got to be quite the tank bully when he hit about 5 inches. I had him in an understocked 45 gallon and he used to chase the other fish around constantly. After I did some reading I found out that many other people had that same problem with them once they got close to full grown. Keep in mind too that they have a very low tolerance for nitrates, lower than other fish.

I would say another pictus or two, and maybe some tiger barbs or buenos aires (if the water is suitable for them).

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
Totally up to you but as everyone else said, make sure the fish can't fit in the pitus mouth!A few more pitus would be a good idea.

waterspirit

Charlie don't surf...
Dec 11, 2002
Oak Grove, KY
Visit site
giant danios would prolly be a good bet as would some Australian rainbows.

Just remember to get fish who are already at a size too big for them to eat and make sure that you don't overcrowd them. I also agree that you should get a couple more pictus.

rohai

AC Members
Dec 27, 2002
Visit site
Buenos Aires

The scientific name is Hemigrammus caudovittatus. I just did some reading on them for you =) They like acid-neutral and medium soft water, although they are less demading of their water conditions that most other tetras. I actually had some in medium water for many years, I found them to be quite hardy. They max at about 3 inches, tend to swim at mid levels, and are pretty peaceful fish... however they like to nibble on vegetation and any other long finned fish's fins, so keeping them with a betta is a bad idea.

They are silvery colored with a bluish green stripe along the lateral line, red caudal and anal fins, and just in front of the caudal fin on the caudal peduncle is a black diamond.

rohai

AC Members
Dec 27, 2002
Visit site
stange

I live in Minnesota and they are really common in the fish stores, as common as neon tetras and tiger barbs actually. Maybe your lfs could order some in for you if you're interested in them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store