Pincushion Urchin is Floating, but Not Dead

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

horselover_ky

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
We ordered 2 urchins. Due to some misunderstandings, we were not at home to sign for the package and had to pick them up today instead of yesterday. One urchin lost its spines and died. The other has its spines and I can see little tentacles sticking out and moving, but he is floating at the surface of the water. Does anybody have any idea what is going on? We put a couple of pieces of rock in the acclimation bucket in hopes that he'd be able to grab onto it--no luck so far. I can't find anything anywhere about why he is floating! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Doesn't sound good. Urchins are usually pretty hardy, but I've never seen one floating. But, best advice is what you've already done--clean water. Keep it up, hope it makes it.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
If the animal was exposed to air for enough time, then it could have made its way into the test, causing it to float. It could also be from bacterial respiration. Either way, it never ends well, in my experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store