Planned Betta tank setup. Suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Toyosatomimi

Registered Member
Nov 2, 2019
Hi, it's my first time posting here.

I want to make a simple planted tank for betta and ghost shrimps. For obvious reasons, I haven't bought them yet. I plan to let the tank be for a few weeks with plants, then add shrimps then the betta.

The tank is a 5.5 gallon, wider than tall. I also have a silent filter, thermometer, heater, and a variety of water treatments and kits when needed.

My original plan is to use a gravel substrate, the brownish natural-looking ones. For a hiding place, it would have a half cork bark that can be found in the reptile section. I find that it's easier to sink when boiled first. After that, I plan to weigh it down by covering parts of it with the substrate. This can additionally be a place for plants.

For the plants, I want to have dwarf hairgrass for carpeting. It's only a few, which I then let grow out and propagate. I'm still unsure for the main centrepiece plant that can be used for overhang. I considered either hornwort or java fern, which can also be places to hide.

This is a sketch of the layout:

Do you have any suggestions? I know betta can eat the shrimps, but from my experience with good temperament and feeding the bettas ignore the shrimps

tank.png

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It all looks pretty good. Good for you for thinking everything well out in advance. I don't think you will have any problems with the betta and shrimp, especially if the shrimp have hiding places, and/or if it is a long finned betta. Please do post a pic when it is finished.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome!

Looks like a great plan. How do you intend to cycle the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store