Plant ID please?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Hi, guys. I have a question about a plant that's appeared in my tanks. It's a trefoil leaf, and it kinda looks like bacopa that hasn't grown a stem yet, but it's floating.
if that URL works. It also kinda looks like duckweed, which I've have never purchased. The plant started appearing a few weeks ago, after some bacopa got uprooted, and I never got around to replanting it due to some health issues and the lack of time. It seems to multiply rapidly like duckweed, but it's been months since I've introduced plants to the tank.

IMG_20181222_145336.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, it looks like duckweed to me. I have both 3 & 4 leaves on mine. I hope it's something else but...if looks like duckweed & grows like duckweed...

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If that's duckweed, I wonder how I got it. I haven't gotten plants since like October, and, and no new fish since November, and these only started appearing 2-3 weeks ago. I've been hoping to see stems growing off the bottom, but haven't seen those yet.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Another vote for it being duckweed.

Remove it now, with tweezers, or keep it forever.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
All it takes is 1 tiny plant, even kind of dried out.

A net can help with a gross removal, but it can get in the filters or trapped in plants...Good luck!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Definitely duckweed.

They've recently verified that it can pass through a ducks digestive system and still be viable.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
That's..... lovely. I was wondering why it was so prolific if it was bacopa. Guess it's because it's not. I'm actually kind of okay with it in my 10. The betta that was there just died for no apparent reason, other than probable health issues from before we got him. Now, we currently have inverts there, so the duckweed'll be fine there. I kind of like watching it hit the filter flow, get submerged, and pop back up. In the 55? Getting removed.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, remove it...as best you can. As often & as thoroughly as you can...There's a reason it's called duck "weed"; it truly is a weed!! It's a long term battle; good luck!!...I'm so sorry

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I had suspicions that it was duck weed before I asked, because it was super prolific, and it looked like the duck weed I saw in an LFS (I bought silicone there, no livestock) so I had a sinking feeling before I made this thread. I'm not concerned, insofar as fighting it goes. It'll take time, and I'm probably going to have a few bits of it forever, but it's definitely a bit of a downer. Thanks, guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store