Plant ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jeffed76

AC Members
Feb 16, 2019
What is this plant and will it grow 18 in? I want to use it as a wall in the back of the tank if I can. Any help is much appreciated!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It looks like a ludwegia, maybe repens, with some algae issues. Stem plants can grow tall but sometimes the base of the plant doesn't get enough light to be healthy. How long have you had it?

Tells us more about you tank. Lighting? How much, what type & on for how long each day? Tank size? Fertilizers? What kind & how often?

Reactions: Jeffed76

Jeffed76

AC Members
Feb 16, 2019
  • Lighting? BeamsWork DA FSPEC LED Aquarium Light 36 inch
  • How much, what type & on for how long each day? at least 12 hours full light
  • Tank size? 50 gallons
  • Fertilizers? What kind & how often? None, should I be using some? Didn’t want to hurt the fishies

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, 12 hours is too long. Try ~7 hours, use a timer. You can even split the time if that works for your tank viewing schedule. I haven't gone to LEDs yet so have no opinion on yours.

As for ferts, you need to test & see if you need to add them. A nitrate level between 5 & 20ppm (max). Also GH & KH tests can help. Test your tap water too. Most of us here on AC use API Master Freshwater kit. It looks like your other plants are sword plants? Those are primarily root feeders & would like a root tab fertilizer every 3 months. You should be in the habit of changing 30-50% water every week or so.

The top 1-3 inches of your stem plants look healthy. Let them get a few inches longer. Then you'll want to prune off the pretty tops, uproot & compost the ugly bottom parts & replant the tops. It depends on how fast they grow for you & how ugly the bottoms get as to how often you might need to do that. If you don't have naked stems or unhealthy leaves you can let them grow as long as you want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store