Planted aquarium newbie with some questions. Starting a 5g planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

balerion

AC Members
Mar 20, 2017
Northern IL
This goes for all my aquariums because I recently put a bunch of easy to moderate growing plants in my two that I currently have. I've got cabomba, anubias, java moss, water sprite, java fern, anacharis, all the basics down. I'm dosing with liquid ferts and root tabs (my one tank is extremely fine almost sand-like substrate and my other tank is pure white sand so probably not the absolute best for plants). I plan on moving some of my cabomba (I have a crap ton of it) to this new tank but other than that I'm buying new plants for the new tank.

So I bought a five gallon (this one http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+28305&pcatid=28305 ). Don't know how good the lighting is... it jut says it's six white lights and six blue. I assume it's decent, maybe better than the average fluorescent hood, but not great or special for plants.

Questions, now...

What kind of plants create a good carpet and aren't too hard to grow?

How good is fluorite? I bought a bag of it because it's supposed to be so good for planted aquariums. I've also heard plain potting soil can be great too but I'm afraid I'll pick the wrong type.

What other plants will fill out a 5g pretty quickly?

And if anyone knows, how good is the lighting in this specific tank?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I can answer a few questions but not a lot.
A good carpet plant is dwarf hair grass if you are willing to invest in it but its a hit or miss for some people. (Miss for me) dwarf chain swords are nice small plants that grow nicely but don't look like a carpet though.
If you want something to "fill" it, then check out amazon swords. They can get huge, 3 feet if I'm not mistaken. But if you will take the time to prune it, you can make it into a lovely center piece. Look into anubias and crpyts. My personal favorite anubias is anubias name and petite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store