planting question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Ok y'all, in my tank I have a few stalks of bamboo. 2 of them are tall enough that they stick out of the water without any leaves in the water, 1 is short so I have it in a pot, and the smallest one is where the problem is. It has a growth shooting out close at the bottom so I put it on top of the gravel in the pot because that is the only way I can get it high enough without putting it in a HOB filter. It is not that big but has a HUGE root ball, I couldn't put the root ball in the pot so I put it on top of the gravel and put some gravel on top of the roots to keep it steady.
Can it live like this or should I move it to my 5 gallon and put it in another pot? It would reach the top of the 5 gallon I think..
-Brian

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I have some that are just hanging on the edge of a bucket with the roots suspended in the water. They're growing happily.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I hope it grows enough that I can plant it in the gravel within a few months, its right by a window so Im hopeful

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
remember it isn't an aquatic plant, assuming you mean lucky bamboo... you don't want to try keeping regular bamboo.

the leaves will need to be out of the water, whatever happens. Some out of the water should be fine, anything submerged will melt off. But I wouldn't have too much hope if you can't keep at least the top leaves out of the water.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Why not regular bamboo? I keep several straight sticks of bamboo in the tank

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I always thought the straight bamboo was normal bamboo and the curly ones were lucky bamboo :/
Haha, thanks Tiff, you taught a stubborn young dog a new trick :p.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store