Platty attempting to breed with every fish he sees?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
So, I raised this little boy molly since he was litteraly one day old. Now he's about 6 months, and very, umm... hormonal. Any fish he sees he tries to mate with, except the female of his own species! Is this normal? Should I do anything? Or just leave him alone. The other fish are mollys, white cloud minnow, and rainbow forktail.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
A description of what he's doing is rubbing up against, chasing, and attempting to entice the other fish by rubbing his tail against them.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
welcome to the wonderful, if libidinal, world of livebearers. :)

However your headline does not match your text: is the heavily hormonal fellow a platy or a molly? Makes little difference which; I have kept both, as well as Endlers, and they all behave the same way. Females, males, tank decor and equipment, doesn't matter, the males will attempt to mate with it. My guess is that he has already had his way with the available female of his species and there will be further generations in your tank and the species will avoid extinction.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Thanks for the info! He is a platty. Sorry for not making that clear:grinyes: Ok, so the little guys perfectly normal! Well, technically. Hmmm... I hope its ok the available female was his sister...

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
One time? sure. Line breeding is how they fix desirable traits in the offspring in any species. For the long run of course you want to mix in new bloodlines: maybe swap Sis at the lfs for another platy of the same type/coloration. Or a different color if you want to experiment with mixing things up. :)

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Ok. I am planning to eventually get him a friend who's not his own sis. Any suggestions on a specific breed? He's a mickey mouse platty.

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
I have a male molly who loves to dance and show off for the harlequin rasboras. Alas, they completely ignore him. Meanwhile the girlie mollies run away from him. Poor lonely dude.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store