Please help me start out a 10 gallon tank on the right foot.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kay R

Registered Member
Aug 3, 2017
For filtration I'd go with a sponge filter. I make my own though there are plenty on the market. Super cheap and easy to DIY and work incredibly well. If you're going with shrimp they will love the filter and you'll find them eating off it. DIY King and Aquarium Coop on Youtube have great videos on lighting, filtration (and why sponge filters are so perfect) and plants. Keep in mind too that the more planted the tank the less "human intervention filtration" you'll need. I'm in the process of redoing my tanks, several are getting size upgrades so I'm going to be redoing all my lids & lights. I'm going to DIY both of those items too. I'll have a 55, 40B, 29, three 20H, 5 & 3 when everything is said and done. All are planted and I'm going to be making the lights out of PVC rain gutter, PVC pipe and LED strips I'm getting off ebay.

So where in NC are you? I'm in Greensboro.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Yes, 1 light should be more than enough, maybe even too much actually, those compact lights are powerful.

Reactions: DonCroaker
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store