PLEASE HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rainscapes

AC Members
Jul 12, 2020
After looking closer at the affected area, I see one of the stem plants seems to have what I think is a white algae growing on it. (The dark looking stem plant in top view) here is a side view before I attempt to remove the growth

View attachment 227011
I’m afraid whatever it is I have has the opportunity to wipe out my whole tank! Do I continue to rip out affected plants? Do I let it be and see where nature takes me? Do I buy more tools to check water? I have 6 other tanks in the house that I’m pretty good with. This is my first attempt at a fully planted tank.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
When you say it is on the leaves, it's either algae or cyanobacteria. The dark roots is because it is rotting, so like we said it's probably a terrestrial plant.
Why are you changing water? What is the snail supposed to clean up? If you want a high light CO2/ high maintenance tank, you need all of these tests.
For a low tech planted tank you don't need them, nor CO2, but then carpet plants are going to be a problem.
Also your plants need nitrogen, the snail isn't doing anything for them, it's hard to say if fish will provide enough, you may have to supplement KNO3 or ammonia right now. Remember that shortage of NO3 can also cause algae.

Reactions: Rainscapes

Rainscapes

AC Members
Jul 12, 2020
When you say it is on the leaves, it's either algae or cyanobacteria. The dark roots is because it is rotting, so like we said it's probably a terrestrial plant.
Why are you changing water? What is the snail supposed to clean up? If you want a high light CO2/ high maintenance tank, you need all of these tests.
For a low tech planted tank you don't need them, nor CO2, but then carpet plants are going to be a problem.
Also your plants need nitrogen, the snail isn't doing anything for them, it's hard to say if fish will provide enough, you may have to supplement KNO3 or ammonia right now. Remember that shortage of NO3 can also cause algae.
It’s definitely “in the leaves” they are going transparent and then greying off. I pulled out a huge portion of the dying area. Then drained the tank down below the ground cover plants, and sprayed a small amount of hydrogen peroxide on the edges of the problem site. Filled it back up after 10 minutes, and reduced light to 5 hours from 8. I feel like the decay has slowed down at least. Really feel like I have an imbalance of nutrients and it may just take time to even things out. In search of water testing and treating equipment and waiting for CO2 kit very impatiently. The center of the problem area is showing signs of coming back. Maybe I overplanted? Is that even a thing? ??‍♂ I appreciate any and all feedback. Links to water treatment/ testing kits would be great if anyone has ideas. Thank you

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rainscapes

AC Members
Jul 12, 2020
It’s definitely “in the leaves” they are going transparent and then greying off. I pulled out a huge portion of the dying area. Then drained the tank down below the ground cover plants, and sprayed a small amount of hydrogen peroxide on the edges of the problem site. Filled it back up after 10 minutes, and reduced light to 5 hours from 8. I feel like the decay has slowed down at least. Really feel like I have an imbalance of nutrients and it may just take time to even things out. In search of water testing and treating equipment and waiting for CO2 kit very impatiently. The center of the problem area is showing signs of coming back. Maybe I overplanted? Is that even a thing? ??‍♂ I appreciate any and all feedback. Links to water treatment/ testing kits would be great if anyone has ideas. Thank you

View attachment 227042

View attachment 227043
As far as the snail, I figured it would eat decaying plants while I wait for fish to become available and create some kind of waste for the plants to use. Probably all reasons why I posted in the newby section. I do think the seeds are what the add described. The left side of the tank still shows no issues.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Yes you can "overplant" a tank, meaning there aren't enough nutrients for them provided by the fish. Like I said, the snail is doing nothing for the plants, if you have a heavily planted tank with the right conditions, you have to start stocking or at the least add a nitrogen source. Though a nutrient deficiency doesn't kill plants that fast as you are describing.

Rainscapes

AC Members
Jul 12, 2020
I
Yes you can "overplant" a tank, meaning there aren't enough nutrients for them provided by the fish. Like I said, the snail is doing nothing for the plants, if you have a heavily planted tank with the right conditions, you have to start stocking or at the least add a nitrogen source. Though a nutrient deficiency doesn't kill plants that fast as you are describing.
ll buy some cheap fish for the tank I’ve spent a ton on, rather than waiting for the fish I designed the tank around. I didn’t realize you can’t get a tank set up and running before you add fish... thank you so much for your expertise. I’ll stop bothering.

Rainscapes

AC Members
Jul 12, 2020
I

ll buy some cheap fish for the tank I’ve spent a ton on, rather than waiting for the fish I designed the tank around. I didn’t realize you can’t get a tank set up and running before you add fish... thank you so much for your expertise. I’ll stop bothering.
A guy walks into a bar. The locals realize he isn’t from around here and say “we won’t help you”. Guy walks out...

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I would not get any fish you don't intend to keep, dose some ammonia and get test kits. You're welcome to ask any questions, that's what the forum is for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store