Please suggest some fish for my tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rohit1996

Registered Member
May 29, 2017
I have an 18 gallon aquarium with 6 zebra danios and 6 neon tetras. Which other fish can I add in my tank? My substrate is marbles and there are no live plants.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You have space for some bottom dwellers, but there aren't many that will appreciate a marble substrate. Perhaps ghost shrimp?

Reactions: Rohit1996

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What are pastel tetras? When I google it, it comes up with the dyed white skirts, and honestly that's a horrible suggestion. Dyed fish should be avoided, and I highly encourage everyone to tell their LFS to stop carrying any of the dyed animals. No problem with the GMO glow fish and such, but the dye process is gruesome.

Reactions: Tifftastic

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Pastel tetras are similar to glo fish but not the glo
Then they are dyed fish. This an extremely horrible process and I would highly recommend not purchasing these fish as it animal cruelty in one of it's highest forms. Would you purchase a cat or a dog that had been dipped in acid to have its fur and outer most layer of skin removed and then dipped in a harmful dye so that it was green or blue instead of it's lovely natural colour?

A common method of creating "painted fish" is through dye injection via syringe. Generally, fish are injected multiple times.[1] Fish may also be dipped in a caustic solution to strip their outer slime coat, then dipped in dye. These methods are reported to have a very high mortality rate.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_fish

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I honestly cannot think when I have seen painted or tattooed fish for sale... frogs and turtles still show up though.

sigh... I personally will not take any pet store seriously that sells them, or anything else illegal or immoral.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store