Pleco and Goldfish mayb in need of new home....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly

AC Members
Dec 29, 2002
Pekin, IL
Visit site
Might have to give away my 3-4 inch pleco and chocolate oranda...:( Sadly on another forum I was told that I have my tanks over stocked.

29 gallon

6 guppies
1 minnow
2 platies
1 oranda <--problem?

8 neon tetras
1 pleco<--problem?

Sound overstocked??

Well My oranda shouldnt be with tropicals and my pleco will get too big and I can get smaller fish that do the same as he does (eat algae lay on grown)

And instead of giving them back to my petstore to be put in overstocked tanks with parasites and dead fish, I'd rather see them happily put into a new home.:) So if anyone would like them...I sadly can't ship to anywhere as I don't know how.

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
It will help us help you if you give us your location.

Good luck placing your friends. I don't know about the oranda in the 29; with only one, it may be okay - all your other fish are small. What do you mean by 'minnow'? (just curious).

Your pleco would probably adapt to the temp your oranda likes (I'm assuming you already have it at at least 70F for the tropicals)Have you considered this:

29 gallon at 'moderate tropical temp - 70ish':
6 guppies
1 minnow
1 oranda
1 pleco (till he outgrows it)

10: at more tropical temp
8 neon tetras
2 platies

I have a tank that contains platies, swordtails, variatus, and common goldfish that all came in from the same outdoor pond in September, and they have been fine. They run about 72 degrees. Perhaps a post under 'freshwater' about mixing the Oranda with tropicals will get you a better answer. In any case, don't panic just yet - you may be able to work something out where you don't have to part with your fish, not yet anyway.
judy

TJcanada

AC Members
Shelley, Judy's suggestion may be a good idea, just rearrange abit for now.
My belief on how fancy goldfish should be kept isn't overly popular...but it is my opinion and I stand by it. 29gal tank for 1 small oranda(1-3inches) with a good filter system going plus a very good water change schedul and you're not "spoiling" your wetpets with too much food- even with those "little" fish added into the equation - is just fine for the moment . Having said that, I'm assuming that your fish are on the small side(the gf included). In the long term, yes your tank would be considered overstocked - just because of the oranda. Most keepers go by the 30gal minimum rule for goldies.
You don't mention the temp of the tank...but if it's in the 70-78F range you oranda won't mind that. 72-74F is a good happy medium in my opinion - warmer water tends to have a better effect on fancies than cooler temps. Having said that they also grow faster in warmer water... but bio works better too.

29 gallon at 'moderate tropical temp - 70ish':
6 guppies
1 minnow
1 oranda
1 pleco (till he outgrows it-Judy) (re-home/trade-TJ)

10: at more tropical temp
8 neon tetras
2 platies
If anything the pleco is the fish you should re-home or trade in for a smaller "janitor".
If you do decide rearrange the 2 tanks stock and add the plec to the 29gal - be cautious, they tend to "like" goldfish. Do you know what type of pleco you have? Keep in mind that pleco's are almost as messy as goldfish so you'll have to watch your waterQ as the grow.

Long term(hopefully sooner than later) ... think about upgrading that 29gal to a larger tank - 55gal's are common and you may find one for sale here(or another board) or in your local paper.

Shelly

AC Members
Dec 29, 2002
Pekin, IL
Visit site
Im in USA Pekin IL..Around Peoria

I bet my oranda could adapt to my 29 G with 5 guppies now because the one that got attacked is dead..And two platies and minnow as in I guess he is a creek chub I dont know I caught him as a fry in a clean running crick, just to see if I could raise him and see what kind of fish he turns out to be since the crick drys out in the summer.

But the water temperature is stays around 74-76 in both tanks and only one has a heater (i seldom use in the 29 G)
and the ten gallon doesnt.

My pleco is the common pleco and will out grow my tank.

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
Thanks for chiming in TJ. Goldies are not one of my strong points - not the fancies anyway. All mine are common, or rescued feeders, or shebunkins. And they're outdoors.

One word about the chub. These guys prefer cold, running water, much like trout or bass or any other native species. He may not thrive in your environment. I tried to raise a blue gill in a tank as a kid - it worked for a while, then I decided to release him. He died on the drive to the release spot.:(

I've driven south in Illinois to rescue a pacu and a bristlenose, but it wasn't as far as Pekin. Hatter's in Elk Grove, IL, wonder where that is on the map?
judy
off to check MapQuest............

Shelly

AC Members
Dec 29, 2002
Pekin, IL
Visit site
Well...My pleco is now returned and I traded him for two Julii Corys, and will get ghost shrimp tuesday as they were out of them today. And my oranda has his/her own ten gallon. And the 29 gallon is now settled in stock.

All my fish are fine again...

And my minnow welll I've had him for a year and a half with guppies and he's been doing great.

Thanks for everyones help and advice on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store