pleco food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yaacov

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
Hi all

I bought three days ago pleco to handle with the algae in the my aquarium. I thought its going to take some time, but i figured out that i had bought a super pleco - after a few hours i found that no algae left.

So what else pleco eats beside algae ?

Reactions: JBsWifey

Hootchieman

I may be crazy, but I'm not insane.
Oct 22, 2002
Victoria, B.C.
Visit site
My Pleco loves algae wafers, although he eats bits of shrimp as well. Lots of others have tried cucumber and zuchini but I haven't had any success. My pleco is at the point now where he will wait at the front of the tank for its wafer.

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
Do you know what kind of Pleco you have? Most of them enjoy vegetables like zuchinni. Zap a slice about 20 secs in the microwave and rubber band it to a rock or some such to hold it down. You can also provide sinking algae wafers and mine get the Tetra sinking catfish tablets once in a while. I put this food out right before lights out so the nocturnal feeders stand a chance at it. Otherwise even my angelfish will swipe them a bite or two.

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Try zuccini, they will eat it. Give them time if it is there first itroduction to it. Like any creature it takes them time to realize that it is food. You can also use snow peas split in half, spaghetti squash rinds after you eat them and pumpkin rinds. My fish love all these foods. Give them time to discover it. They will love you for it.

pleco.jpg

mokmu

AC Members
Jan 10, 2002
Singapore/Philippines
Yes, have vegetables prepared. Squash slices, cucumber & zucchini slices. If you don't like to heat them, just tie them to a rock or driftwood. They may not eat it immediately. Try not feeding them for a day or two then introduce the vegetables. Just keep trying.

You can also give them frozen bloodworms. These they will most likely eat. These are, by far, the most to nature that they may get aside from algae. I am so sure that these fish really dig or go for those little slugs at the bottom of the river, lake or pond. Clam and shrimp bits will be relished but, as in some of my tanks, they do leave leftovers.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
My pleco has a fondness for steamed rice... in fact, my whole tank does, I put in 6-10 grains twice a week.

Botch

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
South Africa
www.dirk.ohgo.com
They love spirulina tablets.

polkadot

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
You mean those cooked rice?

Originally posted by Wippit Guud
My pleco has a fondness for steamed rice... in fact, my whole tank does, I put in 6-10 grains twice a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store