pond pump ideas to clean muddy water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I have a 5ft round, 3.5ft deep duck pond. They managed to muddy up the water within a day. I'm thinking I need filter floss, but not sure if it will catch very fine mud particles.
Ideas?

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
My guess is that any filter material you would try would clog up pretty quickly and you would have to clean the pump daily. I know with my pond when I used a filtering material in the pump I had to clean it every few days (at least once a week) because it would get all plugged up with gunk - and that water was clear not murky. My suggestion would be plants or something to help firm up the bottom of the pond and minimize the sediment. Maybe some water hyacinth - let the root system catch the sediment and then every few days pull them out and rinse the roots off. You could try a water clairfier - not sure how that would do with muddy water.

Just some thoughts,

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I used a pool liner to line the pond, so the mud comes directly from the duck's bill. Ducks need the mud to eat, but also the water, and as you can guess with a bill, most of that very fine powder dirt goes into the pond.
Unfortunately, the pump needs to be under the water level, I can't dig a hole and path for the tubes w/o risking the side collapsing. So opening it to clean it is a real chore, it's also fenced so even more annoying. Plants with ducks is also impossible, they eat everything...
I'll get a pic up later today.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
The liner came with the pools pump, it is the filtration.

The pond has NO fish, since it's strictly for the ducks. And ducks eat fish and all plants within it.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Ducks eat fish, at least mine sure did. I had a small temp pond and it had minnows in it. The ducks were out and about and wandered to the pond to drink and soon noticed the fish. At the end of the day, no fish left...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store