Power supply??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Soulcoffr

Casiotone Nation
Jan 9, 2004
Eastern Iowa
Visit site
Going back to the original post: if the plug strip instructions state it is not for aquarium use, the NEC also requires that manufacturer's installation instructions be followed. So this would also technically be a violation of the NEC, no matter how clever you were with drip loops and whatnot.
Although I think if you were to get one of those new GFCI outlet adapters, then you'd probably be within code. Or at least you'd have the peace of mind you wouldn't shock the heck out of yourself if something happened.

I've been shocked with household current before, and I don't care to have it happen to me when I can avoid it. And yes, house current can kill you. That's why they have those "Do not use in bathtub!" warnings on hair dryers.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Just for the sake of it, with the right connection to ground and body conditions, it only takes 30 volts to generate lethal current.

Philgo

AC Members
Jun 6, 2005
I'd say that there is nothing wrong with daisy chaining power strips as long as the total amperage is not exceeded. It's only advised against because too many sockets is such a big temptation for some people.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
Just for the sake of it, with the right connection to ground and body conditions, it only takes 30 volts to generate lethal current.
It takes only 50 mA to KILL a human being and stop the heart, weather it be 1volt or 100,000 volts, it doesnt matter.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I agree...go back to the books please. I never stated that less than 30 volts could not kill. It was a basic statement concerning how low of a resistance the body can normally exhibit, the current flow required to affect the heart and the voltage that would be required to generate it.

Often people assume 120 v household current is safe. It isn't.

You seem to be on the attack in all your posts. Please back off.

sawyer1206

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
Angleton, Tx.
It takes only 50 mA to KILL a human being and stop the heart, weather it be 1volt or 100,000 volts, it doesnt matter.
There is a little more to it then what you think. Proper impedance paths are critical to shock prevention.

The National Safety Council estimates that nearly 300 people die in the United States each year from electric shocks on 120V or 277V circuits. Death occurs when voltage pushes electrons through the human body, particularly the heart. An electric shock from as little as 50VAC for as little as 1 sec can disrupt the heart's rhythm, causing death in a matter of minutes.

The severity of electric shock depends on the current flowing through the body, which is a function of the electromotive force (E) in volts, and the contact resistance (R) in ohms. Plug these values into the formula I=E÷R to find out how much current will flow through the body.

Electric shock can come in several forms, and the following descriptions apply to the various levels.

Electric sensation
Tingle sensation occurs at about 0.25mA to 0.5mA for an adult female and between 0.5mA and 1mA for an adult male.

Uncomfortable sensation
Current greater than 1mA to 2mA is very uncomfortable to either gender.

Maximum let-go level
The maximum let-go threshold level for a female is about 9mA and about 15mA for a male.

Fibrillation level
This is a function of current over time. For example, you will get fibrillation with 500mA over 0.2 sec or 75mA over 0.5 sec.

Let-go threshold
This is the current level at which humans lose muscle control; the electricity causes muscles to contract until current is removed.

According to IEEE Std. 80, you can determine the maximum safe shock duration by the formula, T=0.116÷(E÷R), where T is duration in seconds, E is the electromotive force in volts, and R is resistance of the person, which is a constant 1,000 ohms (see Figure).

For a 120V circuit, maximum shock duration=0.116÷(120V÷1,000)=1 sec

For a 277V circuit, maximum shock duration=0.116÷(277V÷1000)=0.43 sec

An overcurrent protection device (OCPD) protects against electric shock caused by a ground fault on metal parts of electric equipment. The time it takes for an OCPD to open, clear a ground fault, and remove dangerous voltage is inversely proportional to the magnitude of the fault current.

If the installation is in accordance with the NEC, an inverse time circuit breaker or fuse should quickly clear a ground fault, thereby removing dangerous touch voltage. However, the circuit must have a low-impedance ground-fault path that permits fault current of at least six times the rating of the OCPD. For a 20A circuit, the ground-fault current must be at least 120A to clear the fault quickly.

The impedance of the fault current path plays a critical role in removing dangerous voltages from metal parts and preventing electric shock by facilitating the opening of the branch-circuit overcurrent protection device. Be sure you don't take this path for granted. Terminate equipment-grounding conductors properly and make sure all mechanical connections are secure. One final tip: Only a GFCI can protect you from direct contact with an energized conductor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store