Pregnant platy arrival?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jake Chet

AC Members
Jul 14, 2017
Based on these photos when will my platy give birth? Note ive seen fry eyes in her bottom for a week now thanks.

IMG_6165.PNG

IMG_6166.PNG

IMG_6167.PNG

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Usually the dark gravid spot near their vent/anus becomes darker, but I don't see the spot at all so that's not a lot of help lol. She will usually chase males away more soon and find a quiet safe spot when she is really ready. Her vent might looked popped out a bit, a tube might trail from her vent and her belly might become more squared shortly before she is ready. These don't always happen but are signs to look for. Like fishorama said though they will eat the fry. If you don't plan to move her to a birthing tank or box, add floating plants or decor for the fry to hide in. Supposedly they head for the surface, mine didn't though.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Also they say they usually give birth at night so make sure to check the tank 1st thing every day. Good luck!

Andytay70

AC Members
Jun 20, 2017
I put mine in a breeding trap if i want to keep the offspring otherwise the poor little mites dont stand a chance!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Get some floating plants for the fry to hide in. Even plastic plants are good .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store