Project Great Wall o' Tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jalo Reefa'

master of non-specific gravity
Feb 19, 2009
really cool idea, I just dunno if its ever a good idea to put tanks that close to the floor (kicking, geting hit with stuff, etc)... unless you have no family/kids/other pets that could put them at risk.

would be an awesome set up though

tcarswell

Bichir guy
Jan 7, 2009
Sacramento California
ok ok I finally got the pictures off my camera...ended up bringing my laptop home from work to do it. So without further ado...

Frames attached to the 150, in place

First piece of sheetrock up

Walls have been painted too. No more purple!

Best tool ever

quarter-round molding that will be along the floor

this is the wood i'm building the window frames from

I built Hofer gurgle-busters for my overflows - helped the noise level dramatically.

All the sheetrock hung

All the windows are covered with plastic to keep dust out from behind the wall. The turtle tank is taped off from behind because the glass is inset further than the rest. Gives a nice teaser as to what it will look like.

right-hand side of the room

this is me thinking to myself "yeah screw this..." I had half a bucket of drywall compound in my basement for a few years, and it had separated pretty badly. I was trying to mix it up to use it, but it ended up getting trashed and I just bought some new stuff.

Liz painting the walls

First coat of mud

wood frames installed

the frames for the turtle tank are a bit deeper

first coat of mud sanded

On the upside, everyone has decided I suck at tape and seam so badly they won't let me do it any more, so Liz's dad has been helping out. Fine with me, he'll do a better job and, hey, I don't have to do it. :D

The mud should be getting finished up tomorrow, final skimcoat/sanding, so I'm hoping by Sunday I can look at getting it painted. Then, the only thing left will be to build and install the false wall to fill that doorway on the left, and repaint the ceiling and that room will be pretty much done. As fas as the fish stuff goes, next big thing will be running water lines behind the wall to hook up an auto-drip system. Goodbye, syphoning.
If you think your tape and texture is bad you should see mine lol. Im good with sheet metal and HVAC but when it comes to room finish work lol forget it. Great project!

leoslizards

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
Hey Sploke, just wondering if you ever got around to that constant water changing system?
I'm finally starting my own wall of tanks, well I still haven't fully decided. Either my wall of tanks or the 250g tank I have in my back yard. I just re-read this entire thread for some inspiration and ideas.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yes, I actually did get the water change system up and running, just finished it within the past few weeks actually. You can see that thread here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211600

As for new pics - the wall actually looks like trash right now. Our 2 year old daughter managed to pull the wooden frames out of the sheetrock in a few places, so I re-glued them and scraped down the chipped paint. It just needs a fresh coat of mud to fill in the gaps, some sanding and a fresh coat of paint and it will be looking new again. I have this week off from work so I'm going to try and get it done, and I'll post some new pics. Finally got the 200 running, but the 75 is now empty, pending another project.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
I have to say thank you!! My husband has decided that instead of me trying to figure out where to put my 2 125 gal tanks, he is building them into the wall of our new living room. Demolition of the walls on that end of the house starts next Monday!! We are renovating our house ourselves....at least he and his cousins are. I am just moral support and gopher.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Sweet! Start a build thread!

JDevil

AC Members
May 9, 2005
I just came across this thread while looking for some ideas to get me started on my own wall. Your pictures have given me some great insight into how I want to frame out my supports. My project most likely won't get started until next year, but I feel much better about it after seeing yours.

Great Job!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store