Propagating Compact Aponogeton(Aponogeton ulvaceus)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
My Aponogeton ulvaceus has flowered and I was wondering what methods people have used to propagate it or related species. Thanks in advance.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
you can take either both ends of the flower and rub them together or just take your finger and gently touch one and the next and the next, with this you will self pollinate the plant.. and in a few weeks the flowers will turn into a seeds which will fall off and over many more weeks will turn into another aponogeton.. I gave up since im not that patient..

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
One site said something about root/bulb propagation, any info on that?
not that i know of.. you can google more of that type of species of aponogeton but from what ive read on many forums and sites to propagate you have to pollinate the flowers same way a bee would do in nature..
I also though before thought that the bulb would split.. but not sure, had mine for a few months now and nothing..

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
but also reason why i gave up is because it takes 8+ weeks for the flowers to become seeds and fall off and why wait that long when you can go to lfs and get another bulb and replant it..
Btw that wont be the only flower you will see, soon you will have another reaching for the surface.. I had 3-4 in all then i just stopped counting, gave it away to someone with a bigger tank and who knows how many new flowers it produced there..

Also read on one site that when they grow the flowers it takes away plenty of energy for the plant and in nature thats when the original plant starts to die off.. But im not 100% sure on that..

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
New shoot seem this morning. It is about 4" now, probably at surface in two ro three days.

br553

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
One of my new apon bulbs, a mixed-breed, has put out 5 flower spikes with a 6th on the way in just over a week that I have had it. It doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store