Protein skimmer and powerheads for a 29g Biocube

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Looking for recommendations for a good protein skimmer for a 29g BioCube, plus any recs for extra powerheads for a nano-reef/invert set-up. How many, and what kind? Thanks!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Tunze 9004 is a pretty nice skimmer that I believe will fit like 4.3"x3.5". I've seen the hydor nano and aquatic life 115 fit in them, avoid the oceanic biocube specific skimmer its junk.

Going to hook the powerheads upto a wavemaker or just stand alone? Koralia nano's are nice cheap and small for nano setups, Tunze nanostreams are also quite nice. Of course you always got the Eco Teck MP10 if you don't mind spending a little extra. I'd likely go with 2 powerheads in the 4xxgph range.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have a AquaC Remora that would work on a 30gal cube. I no longer have a reef. If interested in it please PM me.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Tunze 9004 is a pretty nice skimmer that I believe will fit like 4.3"x3.5". I've seen the hydor nano and aquatic life 115 fit in them, avoid the oceanic biocube specific skimmer its junk.

Going to hook the powerheads upto a wavemaker or just stand alone? Koralia nano's are nice cheap and small for nano setups, Tunze nanostreams are also quite nice. Of course you always got the Eco Teck MP10 if you don't mind spending a little extra. I'd likely go with 2 powerheads in the 4xxgph range.
I think you're referring to a 9002, not a 9004. The 9002 is a great skimmer, I have one running a 47 gal right now. It does require a different collection cup, which is available commercially, in order for the lid to close on the Biocube.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Okay, well, I went with the Hydor SlimSkim, which I was assured would fit in a 29 BC. Sure, if you don't mind giving up about 1/6 of your visible tank space. And no, it doesn't fit in the water return chamber either, if you want any suction from the vents.

Arrgh. So I'm selling that one and trying something else.

I found the Tunze 9002, but not the BC mod cup, which is a necessity since I need the lid (cats). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Thanks, Greech! That's a great site! I've been thinking about ditching the bio-balls, which don't seem to be doing much of anything, and adding better filtration. What are your thoughts on the multi-stage media basket set-ups?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store