Public aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Was reading through a history of them and was surprised to learn that "georgia aquarium" is using
artificial salts exclusively BUT with plain old Atlanta tap water as a base. Most either use open systems or truck in natural seawater Anyone know any more details on this?? Would love to know the formula.
the variuos sites are useless as lots of hype and pix but no science lol gary

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I know a guy who knows a guy.......I might be able to find out.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Instant Ocean, it's on their website. For some reason I can't paste it, but it's there!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yep they use IO. I can't speak to the tap water aspect but you can't compare a hobby tank to the systems run in an aquarium like this. I'm sure the water is heavily filtered before it go in the display tanks.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Which site IO or Georgia?? If Georgia which section?? Don't really care about the brand was curious about the technique for mixing. Also what is their method of "recycling"?? Do they mean reusing?? If so how.??
Did they use artificial for the initial fill??
Shedd moved almost 1 1/2 millon gallons from Key West by rail. They still use about 80 percent natural. Though I'll bet they don't truck it from Key West anymore lol Have never heard of anyone using artificial salts with out RO
Greech I'll bet it is but seems it would be easier to use RO water in the first place.?? Thanks gary

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
IO's site.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
RO is used in home aquariums because water testing just isn't the economical option. It is cheaper to set up a RO unit and replacement cartridges then it is to test the water and treat it.

At their scale this would probably flip around and it'd be cheaper to lab-test the water and treat it accordingly.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Found the answer to most of my ?? In of all places :Wikipedia!!! Googled "Marine aquarium theory" then into "Public aquarium management proceedures Just checked Georgia and Shedd entirely different methods
Some interesting info on foam factitioning as well as bio filtration speeds and volumes ,turnover rates and general aquatic habitat setups . Could not find how they arrived at the figures of who decided it. Anyway found a whole truckload of useful info.!!! Thanks gary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store