Quarantine for New Snail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
I would like to purchase a Gold Mystery Snail (or two) for one of my tanks. When purchasing a snail, do you look for anything in particular? Should I quarantine the snail before putting him in the tank, and if so, for how long? What would I be looking for while the snail is in quarantine? This snail will be placed in a 9 gallon tank with a female Betta. Thanks for any info in advance!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I don't typically quarantine my snails. When purchasing a snail, I look for one with even shell growth and look for one that is very active. Keep an eye on your betta with the snail, they sometimes gain a taste for antennae.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Its possible but very unlikely for their to be a parasite transferred. Usually this will happen with pond reared snails.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
you dont know if this was a pond rasied snail. and whats in its poop. or at the LFS tank it will be in after the dealer. I too have never QT a snail. But if you have a 30.00 betta or something-- and their out there. you can QT if you want. Its not going to hurt anything. And make sure your QT is setup and established. Snails are sensitive and prolly hungry. so a bare clean tank wont do. Grow some algae on some rocks and feed the algae rocks or start some glasses of green water in the windows. take some pieces of plants or some gravel. Add water and a flake or two. Viola after a few days in sunlight it should be nice and green.

I noticed too that your after a Gold type color and with the QT question; I figure were kinda new maybe? I only new of the Blue and Gold too once. But search around ebay and online here and there are red snails and Msjinks had a really awesome PURPLE snail.

Sorry again for your loss. I always belive someone gets whats deserved to them. Your next snail hopefully does nothing but lay egg clutches.

Good luck.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
I am pretty new to this hobby although I had a community tank many years ago. This would be my first snail purchase, and I just wondered if there was anything in particular I should look for in a snail. The only other snails I've had are those that hitchhike on the live plants. There are a couple of small snails in the tank with the Betta now (again those small pond snails) and she leaves them alone. I'm confused by your apology for my loss? I haven't lost any snails - this would be my first. Thanks for all the information, especially on the different varieties. The gold and blue are the only ones carried by my LFS.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
hi holly, i think the condolences were directed to me, i just lost a beautiful magenta snail. As far as what to look for, go for an active snail with a healthy appearing shell (no little holes, even growth, no cracks).

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Hey msjinkzds? it's applesnails.com right?

i remember you directed me there once before you were a mod, about the diffrences between snails. That site Holly has pics of what to look out for and more!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store