Quarantine Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Strongarm

AC Members
Jan 13, 2021
Far West Texas
Real Name
Wayne
Camera Used
Samsung Galaxy 7+
Just a short story for ya'll.
Years ago, I had a couple of Marine Tanks. The 65 Show reef tank was my pride and joy. I had more corals than fish in it. Well, I decided to go, lets just say somewhere, on a little vacation. When I arrived at my destination, we went out to Ocean, and in the evening at low tide, found little tide pools with thousands of Blennies everywhere. I couldn't resist the temptation of taking a few home. What could it hurt, right? Let me say that this is a huge mistake, without a quarantine tank. Because of the Metal Halide lamps over the tank, the hair algae started growing, out of control. Water Changes, scrubbing, pulling, more water changes, more pulling and scrubbing. For two weeks I had an enormous HAIR BALL not in just the 65 show, but my fish only tank began to get covered in it as well. What happened? Did the Algae jump from one tank into the other across the room? Nope, I believe is was the equipment used. See, I used the same equipment for both tanks, thus propagating both tanks with Hair Algae. If I would have put the Fish in the quarantine tank first, I would have found out about the Hair Algae, and not put the fish in a great show tank, and a fish only tank. I just would have left them in the quarantine tank, or some other tank.
That is what got me out of the Marine side of fishkeeping. Something to keep in mind, for your quarantine tank.
Feel free to share quarantine stories, and new fish keepers advised on the use of quarantining fish...before!

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Hello Strongarm, I'm sorry for your experience, but you would be surprised to know how many people bypass the quarantine processes, especially in salt water. Here in Mexico it's very common for aquarists (beginner to novice) to bypass quarantine and bring disease to their main tank, having a pretty big problem. Fish and corals must be quarantined, it's a fundamental part for success.
A little more than two years ago I had a Singapore angelfish (Chaetodontoplus mesoleucos) in my QT, a difficult fish to keep, everything was excellent after 5 weeks, the fish was eating clams and frozen mysis shrimp, it began to adapt little by little to captivity, but unfortunately I got dengue fever and I fell into bed for almost ten days, I neglected the quarantine process and immediately ammonia took over the situation, these fish are extremely sensitive and ammonia kills quickly, so I couldn't do anything, I have not had an Singapore angelfish ever since.

• Sad
Reactions: dudley and Sprinkle

Strongarm

AC Members
Jan 13, 2021
Far West Texas
Real Name
Wayne
Camera Used
Samsung Galaxy 7+
Sorry to hear that! Ouch!
I know that I should have quarantined the Blennies. I took a short-cut, and it ended my Marine Tank experience, especially after the wife had her say so. :eek:

Reactions: Sprinkle

Strongarm

AC Members
Jan 13, 2021
Far West Texas
Real Name
Wayne
Camera Used
Samsung Galaxy 7+
"Peacock" as my wife named him, is getting bigger. I can tell he is a little more aggressive, not to others in the tank, but when he see's his reflection.

PEACOCK_02082021.jpg

Also installed the Light, and the glass top. Nice and Bright! the light is set at 70% brightness, all LED's on.

PEACOCK_TANK_02082021B.jpg

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
If you go back to the salt water, never forget that quarantine can save you from many headaches ?. Excellent that your wife is comfortable with your tank, they are generally not understandable and they hate aquariums, it happened to me when I was married lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store