Quarantining invertebrates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I'm working on some plans for a new tank with mainly invertebrates such as shrimp. Would I have to quarantine each new batch of shrimp,snails, and stuff like that? Can invertebrates carry diseases that can be transferred to fish? Can they Carry diseases at all?
-Brian

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'm not aware of any zoonotic diseases between fish and shrimp. There are some parasites, but they're not common in the hobby. Yes, invertebrates most definitely can carry diseases and parasites. Rabbit snails, for example, are commonly infested with leeches. Quarantining is a good idea, finding a source that quarantines and treats is good too. Invertebrates by MsJinkzd is very reliable.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Hmm, I have always had bad experiences with quarantining shrimp in my 5 gallon, they always end up jumping out somehow. Maybe I should switch to a 10 gallon Q so they can't jump on top of the plants to get out.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
perhaps just a quarantine with a lid?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
then don't keep ghost shrimp that can jump through it. :p

or do something to lessen any and all gaps, or prevent having decor that lets them get to the top

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I'm probably gonna do a bare bottom tank when I put my Q back up.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
use a sponge filter, and only enough space to let the air hose through, something from screen would work.

having something in there that would provide a bit of cover would be good... it just doesn't have to be as tall as the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store