Question about algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Okay...I have green algae growing under the lights...why?
It's with almost all my tanks. Some, right under the air stone. Assuming it has something to do with the air. How can I stop this if I can?

Thanks.

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
Algae is a natural part of just about any aquatic system. The fact that you have algae growing, IMO, is a sign of a tank that is healthy. As long as you keep it from spreading everywhere and taking over things, it should be fine. I highly doubt you will ever get rid of it indefinitely, nor should you want to. If indeed it does become a problem for you, you may want to look at your feeding and water change schedules. Overabundant algae growth is attributed to excessive nutrients in you water. Nutrients come from decomposing food, fish waste, or even just the water from your tap can contain more than desireable amounts. You may want to feed less and do more frequent water changes if it becomes troublesome. But for the time being, I wouldn't sweat it.

1 fish 2 fish

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
I have another question about Algae. What is a fish that will eat brown and green algae? I'd like to stay away from otos, plecos, and algae eaters. Thx

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store