Question about Maracyn II

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vernetta

Registered Member
Dec 16, 2002
Penna.
Visit site
I bought this to treat a sick Betta. When I got home and opened
it I realized I had gotten the saltwater instead of freshwater.
Since I had opened one of the packets already, I can't take it
back. What is the difference, is the saltwater stronger? It was
fearfully expensive, so I hate to throw it out. Since
my Betta is about on his last legs I put a little piece of it in
his gallon tank anyway, thinking it will either cure him or kill him.
Also, what meds. should you have on hand? None of my other'
fish are sick, but I would like to have at least the basic meds,
just in case. Thanks.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Hi Vernetta. I can't help you with the first part of your question but I have a couple suggestions for meds to have on hand.

1) Ich medication. Either formalin or formalin based med. like RidIch.
2) A broad spectrum antibiotic med with Terramycin (Oxytetracycline).

There are other options for both catagories. You can research them and decide which ones you like, the above are my preferences. Hopefully others will offer their advice too. Good luck.

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I do currently have Coppersafe, Quickcure(for ich), Melafix, and a large Aquarium Salt container. The last two aren't really medicines, but are definately useful for therapeutic reasons. The only thing I don't like about keeping meds like Quickcure on-hand, is that the label says it loses effectiveness after a while of being stored (I think this is on the back of the packaging). I do remember reading it somewhere. I also would definately suggest a medical tank to use true chemicals in. Quickcure and some other ich cures dye the silicone in the tank blue, and this can destroy the effect of a show tank. I watch my fish frequently and closely, and add melafix and/or salt at the onset of any distress. I also am a big fan of water quality and try to keep very clean conditions.

I do not know the chemical differences in the freshwater and saltwater Maracyn's. I have used the freshwater maracyn 2, and it performed adequately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store