Question about pike

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TrueNameAmended

Registered Member
May 20, 2017
Hello everyone. First time posting here.

I wasn't sure if this was the appropriate sub-forum for this so feel free to move it if necessary.

Anyway, I have a 72 gallon which currently houses a 4" zebra pseudotropheus, 5" Jewel cichlid, 4" butikoferi and a 6" pike (I believe it is a Venezuelan pike but not 100% sure). I also have a 35 that houses, among others, a Senegal bichir currently about 5" in length. Obviously I want him in the bigger tank as the 35 isn't affording him sufficient space to grow.

Now, the pike is extremely aggressive, although he and his three current tank mates balance each other's aggression out perfectly. I'm wondering, would it be too risky to try and add the bichir to the 72 at his current size (he's quite bulky)? What are the odds the pike goes tries to make a meal out of the bichir? Being the size difference is minimal, do you guys think it would work out? I don't wanna keep the bichir in the 35 much longer as I have a pair of kribensis that will eventually end up a meal for HIM.

The bichir is too big to be swallowed by the pike, so that being the case, will the pike just let him be?

I had a male-female pair of monster Pikes many years ago but they were housed with fish equal or larger in size to them.

Should I give it a shot, or let the bichir grow more first?

Thanks.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Hello everyone. First time posting here.

I wasn't sure if this was the appropriate sub-forum for this so feel free to move it if necessary.

Anyway, I have a 72 gallon which currently houses a 4" zebra pseudotropheus, 5" Jewel cichlid, 4" butikoferi and a 6" pike (I believe it is a Venezuelan pike but not 100% sure). I also have a 35 that houses, among others, a Senegal bichir currently about 5" in length. Obviously I want him in the bigger tank as the 35 isn't affording him sufficient space to grow.

Now, the pike is extremely aggressive, although he and his three current tank mates balance each other's aggression out perfectly. I'm wondering, would it be too risky to try and add the bichir to the 72 at his current size (he's quite bulky)? What are the odds the pike goes tries to make a meal out of the bichir? Being the size difference is minimal, do you guys think it would work out? I don't wanna keep the bichir in the 35 much longer as I have a pair of kribensis that will eventually end up a meal for HIM.

The bichir is too big to be swallowed by the pike, so that being the case, will the pike just let him be?

I had a male-female pair of monster Pikes many years ago but they were housed with fish equal or larger in size to them.

Should I give it a shot, or let the bichir grow more first?

Thanks.
1.) the Pike will try to swallow the bichir
2.) the bichir may eat the kribensis but not likely
3.) why do you have a fish that grows 15" or more in a 72 gallon tank?
4.)Also do you realize not a single fish in that tank share habitat in the wild?
5.) you should start re-homing fish immediately and do more research before buying them.

TrueNameAmended

Registered Member
May 20, 2017
1) Maybe. That is, after all, the question I was asking. However, they are pretty close in size.

2) The kribensis are tiny and I'm sure eventually, given the chance, the bichir would snag one. Maybe not actively hunt them, but if one happened to be resting on the bottom at night, would he definitely resist the temptation?

3) Most fish stores are highly uneducated on what they sell, and many do a poor job even caring for what they sell; at least in my area. Furthermore, I've yet to see any pikes labeled with their specific species, and as juveniles it's often difficult to tell. So, if this pike is indeed a species that grows 15", is it better off being left there to be bought by some idiot who will put it in a 20 gallon tank, or even to die in the store... or is it better off in my 72 gallon, with sufficient space for at least a good amount of time. It can always be re-homed if it outgrows the 72.

4) If various fish species require similar water parameters and do well as tankmates, what exactly is the issue with housing fish together that come from different parts of the world? I've done it countless times over the course of about 15 years with a great deal of success. In fact, the only tanks I've established as true habitat tanks were with Malawian cichlids and North American natives. Are all your tanks inhabited strictly by fish that share habitats in the wild?

5) There is absolutely no need for me to re-home fish at the current time. They are well cared for and healthy. As I said, ive kept fish for 15 years with dozens of tanks of all sizes and have kept everything from North American natives to saltwater fish and everything in between. Ive even caught hatchlings myself (madtoms, bullheads, etc) and raised them for years, moving them to larger and larger tanks as needed, and eventually to a pond I had.

Any more condescending remarks, sir?

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
1) Maybe. That is, after all, the question I was asking. However, they are pretty close in size.

2) The kribensis are tiny and I'm sure eventually, given the chance, the bichir would snag one. Maybe not actively hunt them, but if one happened to be resting on the bottom at night, would he definitely resist the temptation?

3) Most fish stores are highly uneducated on what they sell, and many do a poor job even caring for what they sell; at least in my area. Furthermore, I've yet to see any pikes labeled with their specific species, and as juveniles it's often difficult to tell. So, if this pike is indeed a species that grows 15", is it better off being left there to be bought by some idiot who will put it in a 20 gallon tank, or even to die in the store... or is it better off in my 72 gallon, with sufficient space for at least a good amount of time. It can always be re-homed if it outgrows the 72.

4) If various fish species require similar water parameters and do well as tankmates, what exactly is the issue with housing fish together that come from different parts of the world? I've done it countless times over the course of about 15 years with a great deal of success. In fact, the only tanks I've established as true habitat tanks were with Malawian cichlids and North American natives. Are all your tanks inhabited strictly by fish that share habitats in the wild?

5) There is absolutely no need for me to re-home fish at the current time. They are well cared for and healthy. As I said, ive kept fish for 15 years with dozens of tanks of all sizes and have kept everything from North American natives to saltwater fish and everything in between. Ive even caught hatchlings myself (madtoms, bullheads, etc) and raised them for years, moving them to larger and larger tanks as needed, and eventually to a pond I had.

Any more condescending remarks, sir?
Why did you ask for advice if all you're going to do is argue with it and ignore it? You obviously know everything so no need for our help.

btw, I was referring to the Buttekofferi. Minimum tank size for a Buttekofferi is like 180 gallons, but i'm sure you already knew that, right?

Tifftastic Tifftastic F fishorama D dougall OrionGirl OrionGirl krichardson krichardson P predatorkeeper87 Hendre Hendre J Jaws7777
FreshyFresh FreshyFresh W Wailua Boy
Since my advice isn't "good enough" for you, take yourself over to Monsterfishkeepers.com and duplicate this thread and see what THEY have to say about it, let me know how THAT turns out for you.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/
Tell 'em Frank Castle sent ya ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: PlantedWetLife

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Those fish dont actually have similar requirements. . .
Bichirs prefer neutral pHs while the psuedotropheus like pH around 8.0 to 8.3. The butte is extremely aggressive, requires a much bigger tank, and also likes a neutral pH. The pike cichlid is south american, aggressive and large and likes a pH of about 6.
Also, from experience the bichir will actively hunt the smaller fish. They'll eat things that are bigger than you would think they can.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Mr. Bones

AC Members
May 25, 2017
In The Deep Blue Sea
Real Name
Boney
Personally i would keep the Buttekofferi & Pike each in their own tanks, setup to suit their native habitat. Beautiful fish both but i hate to watch bullying, and these fish are masters at the art.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store