Question about terracotta pots in aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I cut my pots in half along the height usually. The landscape or gravel and sand places usually give me free rubble of any type.

ddyerfamily

FISH CRAZY IN OHIO
Apr 1, 2007
OHIO
I use pots also,I just rinsed off real good.
no problem.
Another post here is covering pvc with river rock.

nzo

AC Members
Apr 16, 2007
I have plenty of rocks in my backyard but my house is new and with all the chemical and others things that were used on and around my house I decided I didn't want to risk that I had heard however boiling them would make them safe for aquarium use and I did boil some rocks but I didn't have the guts to put them in was to afraid of killing my poor fish.And with as expensive as rocks are at the pet store here(3 something a pound)I decided to forget it.But if there is some sure way to make the rocks safe please let me know
Something I read once and have always done - it makes sense too. Boil the rocks after soaking in a bleach solution. Smell the rocks and if you detect bleach, boil again. You can smell bleach at such a low concentration, that I am sure you will be fine. If not sure, boil them once more *after* you can't smell the bleach :)

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Something I read once and have always done - it makes sense too. Boil the rocks after soaking in a bleach solution. Smell the rocks and if you detect bleach, boil again. You can smell bleach at such a low concentration, that I am sure you will be fine. If not sure, boil them once more *after* you can't smell the bleach :)
how many more times will it have to be told?

USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN BOILING ROCKS!

some rocks contain high levels of moisture, some high enough to make the rock explode like a grenade when superheated.

nzo

AC Members
Apr 16, 2007
I have read about boiling rocks so many times, and this is the first time I have seen someone mention that they can explode.

I`m not saying it's not true, just that this is the first time someone has said this (as I`ve seen). Guess you need to tell all those rock boilers to beware!

richos

AC Members
Sep 13, 2006
Gold coast, Australia
I find teracotta pots to be VERY ugly...unless your going for that '3rd world country ditch' look...why not throw an old bike wheel in there too.
Keep the plant pots for the garden or for breeding tanks in the back corner of the shed.
(Just my opinion...no offence meant if you like em)

kmail5776

SR20 Powered
Nov 28, 2005
terra cotta is used all the time for discus spawning cones. Probably angels too. I wouldn't boil them, but rather bake them in the oven after a soak n wash in tap. But it looks like that's already been determined. . .

As for rocks from the local landscaping quarry, I too just drop by for "samples" which are easily given freely.

Duffee

AC Members
Jun 29, 2006
Myrtle Beach, SC
I find teracotta pots to be VERY ugly...unless your going for that '3rd world country ditch' look...why not throw an old bike wheel in there too.
Keep the plant pots for the garden or for breeding tanks in the back corner of the shed.
(Just my opinion...no offence meant if you like em)
I uses them in a lot of my tanks like I mentioned before because they are a quick, safe, strong, cheap and easy way to make your fish more comfortable in this false habitat that we are creating for them. I just had to quote you because I was lmao when I read it. Bike tire...I think that could work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store