Question on resealing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
So I am cleaning out my 125g tank for it to be reseal. The top brace is pretty crappy, the inner lip goes from normal to being cut (old owners decided to cut for some reason). Now it would probably be smart to just get a new top brace frame since online they look decently cheap. Question for you guys is, should I or reseal tank yet till I have the new brace? Or seal it and then do top frame/brace when it comes in?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'd want to do it all at once. It's probably better to replace the top frame with the tank empty anyway.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Well actually I'm having a hard time finding a frame for it. Emailed couple companies and they don't produce the size I need, 24"x48". I'm going try a local fish store to see if they can order one.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'd go for doing it all at once too.

And sure it's not a 120g? The footprint sounds the same, and you may have more look searching for a frame for a 120 vs a 125.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
I took a look online, and the places that normally sell frames don't have them in 48 x 24. One place that usually sells them is GlassCages, but they do make a 48 x 24 120 gallon tank. They seem to use glass strips and plastic trim pieces. You obviously seem confident using silicone and glass, so maybe try this approach if you can't find something.

Reactions: Frank Castle

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The frames may well be sold by the folks who use them to make aquariums, It might be an idea to ask at your LFS to see if they can get them for you... a lot of companies will not sell directly to the public.

and that way you would likely save on shipping.

But Bunsen is right, a correctly sized piece of glass would work as a brace instead of a frame,,, it just needs to be secured in there well.

as another alternative https://www.fluiddesigners.com/blank-ejsng/brace-protector may fit too.

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
The frames may well be sold by the folks who use them to make aquariums, It might be an idea to ask at your LFS to see if they can get them for you... a lot of companies will not sell directly to the public.

and that way you would likely save on shipping.

But Bunsen is right, a correctly sized piece of glass would work as a brace instead of a frame,,, it just needs to be secured in there well.

as another alternative https://www.fluiddesigners.com/blank-ejsng/brace-protector may fit too.
That is a neat little device. Costs more, but looks better than a bar clamp. I actually saw a craigslist ad for a guy selling a 55 with a broken brace, but he was willing to include the clamp too. :)

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
I have the free time to do, plus I don't have cheap prices like that currently for tanks, unless they wanna drive to NJ for me lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store