Questions about a new (used) tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bschuteker

Registered Member
Mar 9, 2020
Hi all: I am brand new here.

I was gifted a used 35 gallon tall tank and accessories and will be setting it up soon.

I do have some questions though as I have never had a tank this big and in fact, haven't had one in over 20 years. Here is my plan: once the tank is cleaned, and water cycled I want to have live plants and an assortment of fish.

I am considering the following: Danios, pictus catfish, iridescent sharks, tetras, snails, bearded pleco, shrimp (maybe), snails, and for my wife an African Dwarf Frog or 2.

I have been reading up on cycling the water and know I need to let it go with no fish until it is ready. I plan on having some live plants when I fill it to help this process.

I can't post pics yet but I have a Tetra Whisper EX45 and also a Marineland MaxiJet 1200 that I believe he had connected to an under gravel filter.

My biggest question is, do I need the under gravel filter and the HOB filter? Will the HOB filter give enough filtration/water movement? Should I use the smaller pump to just move water around if the under gravel filter isn't needed?

It has a fluorescent light hood, will this be OK for the live plants or do I need something different, possibly LED's?

What do you recommend for a siphon gravel cleaner?

What are low maintenance plants? What about tall plants since the tank is almost 2 feet tall.

Do I need an air pump and a bubbler? if so, why?

I also have a 250 watt heater and thermometer.

I am open to all suggestions/advice. Thanks in advance.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I look forward to answering all of your questions:
- Don't worry about leakage, your countertop filter will do all the work, as long as your tank is not overcrowded. The maxijet seems to have plenty of capacity, and the gravel filters are good, but not better than the hob filters.
-For the selection of species that you describe, it seems to me that sharks will not look good, if you can choose tetras then do not choose sharks, in 35 gallons you have a well selected amount of 20 or 25 small fish.
-Low-requirement plants are plants that do not need high lighting, nor do they need a nutritive substrate or any type of additive, if you wish you can do it, and your plants grow very well, because like every captive living being, it is better to give him the best quality of life. Low-requirement plants are species of echinodorus, cryptocorines, cabomba, egeria, etc ...
-lighting for a tank of that height is recommended high, leds are a great option, if you plan to add more demanding plants then you need this lighting, and nutritious substrate, there are very good suggestions on the market

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome! What is the footprint of this 35gal tank? Footprint size helps with what you can stock with, how to scape for plants, etc. How do you intend to establish a nitrogen cycle? If you know of anyone with a healthy, established tank, a sock of their gravel or some sponge/media from their filter will get you off and running instantly. Other than that, you'll have to do a fishless cycle, or you can cycle with some danios and lots of water changes.

In terms of plants, what type of substrate to you want to use? How high is the tank? The lighting you have may be ok for some anubia, java fern and java moss. Those are all non-rooted plants that you can attach to things, You don't/can't 'plant' them.

bschuteker

Registered Member
Mar 9, 2020
I look forward to answering all of your questions:
- Don't worry about leakage, your countertop filter will do all the work, as long as your tank is not overcrowded. The maxijet seems to have plenty of capacity, and the gravel filters are good, but not better than the hob filters.
-For the selection of species that you describe, it seems to me that sharks will not look good, if you can choose tetras then do not choose sharks, in 35 gallons you have a well selected amount of 20 or 25 small fish.
-Low-requirement plants are plants that do not need high lighting, nor do they need a nutritive substrate or any type of additive, if you wish you can do it, and your plants grow very well, because like every captive living being, it is better to give him the best quality of life. Low-requirement plants are species of echinodorus, cryptocorines, cabomba, egeria, etc ...
-lighting for a tank of that height is recommended high, leds are a great option, if you plan to add more demanding plants then you need this lighting, and nutritious substrate, there are very good suggestions on the market
Thanks, I'll look at those plants. I'll post updates as I go.

bschuteker

Registered Member
Mar 9, 2020
Welcome! What is the footprint of this 35gal tank? Footprint size helps with what you can stock with, how to scape for plants, etc. How do you intend to establish a nitrogen cycle? If you know of anyone with a healthy, established tank, a sock of their gravel or some sponge/media from their filter will get you off and running instantly. Other than that, you'll have to do a fishless cycle, or you can cycle with some danios and lots of water changes.

In terms of plants, what type of substrate to you want to use? How high is the tank? The lighting you have may be ok for some anubia, java fern, and java moss. Those are all non-rooted plants that you can attach to things, You don't/can't 'plant' them.
Thanks, the tank is 24"X12" and 24" tall.

I'm going to see if the LFS will donate some filter material to me to get it started. If not I plan to use some Safe Start and a couple of plants to get it going and then add in a couple of danios since I wanted them anyway. I have a test set and will not add fish if it's way off.

I am going to start the scape with some stacked slate and the plants and see how it goes. I do not want fake plastic decorations and stuff like that in there. I will probably add some driftwood at some point as well. I am just doing basic small natural looking gravel for the substrate. For plants like those, how do you attach them to stuff?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'd probably avoid stacked slate just because it takes up valuable space, but that depends on what you want to stock. 24" is very tall for this footprint, so unless the fluorescent lighting is a multi-tube T5HO, not enough lighting intensity will reach the mid-bottom levels for plants.

Reactions: northernlady

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Air pumps are not necessary in planted tanks.
You don't need LED lights to grow plants, but do get new/proper fluorescents (6500K or 8000K)
By all means do not get iridescent sharks. They grow over 3 feet (1 meter)
Dwarf frogs do not do well in community tanks with fast and large fish (like you want)
Keep in mind tall tanks are terrible.

Reactions: northernlady

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
If you are going to use filter material from an established tank, be sure to complete your nitrogen cycle anyway, use good brand testing to do that.

northernlady

AC Members
Jan 24, 2020
i would suggest that you dont add frogs , frogs are cool but really need a tank of their own.also, no to sharks too. you cant keep a whole lot of fish in a smaller tank, and fish like to have some of their own kind for tank mates so less species but a few of each that you do keep. easy plants, java fern , anubias, both of them are not planted but attach themselves to driftwood very easyily and grow well . some folk attach those plants to driftwood by using a little bit of gel superglue-- be sure it is dry before adding it to your tank! I use tomato wire to attach my plants ( found in the garden center of Walmart for $3 a spool) and remove it in a few months . The wire is coated in green plastic , doesnt rust and is safe for fish, it also is re-useable. I just changed my tanks from gravel to a sand substrate and find it is easier to keep clean, yes get yourself a python siphon if you can, it saves much labor. I have found that LED lights were not the greatest for my planted tanks, I use t5ho florescent . be patient , go slow, but ENJOY

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store