Questions about my New Sump Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Waltmark

AC Members
Aug 27, 2010
Atlantic City, New Jersey
My order arrived at my LFS the other day.

IMAG0575.jpg
IMAG0577.jpg

It took me all day but I set up my very first Sump tank. A couple of questions. My return line spits out bubbles every so often. There is no rhyme or reason to it, no rhythm. I checked all the connections, especially the return pump in the sump (no air is getting in.) Where are these bubbles coming from?

IMAG0580.jpg

I also think there might be too much surface tension but it doesn't seem to be affecting the fish. I fed them flake the other day and the flakes got sucked into the filter really quickly. I think I may send a the flakes down past the surface with a turkey baster. Anyone else do this?

Other than those two problems the sump tank seems to be fine. The fish seem to like it and I plan on putting more equipment in it as time goes on. Anything I should be aware of or know moving forward?

Oh! One last question. I see tanks with sumps that don't have air bubbles. Do I still need to send air bubbles into the tank with a sump or no? Is this something that the sump with the wet/dry compartment takes care of?

My tank stats:

38 gallons
Freshwater Community

IMAG0580.jpg IMAG0577.jpg IMAG0575.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store