Questions regarding 36 g bow tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Hi everyone it's been a while since I have posted & have a couple of questions. I am curious as to how often a gravel vac is really necessary. I have a 36 g bow tank and I do a water change usually half of the tank water every 2- 3 weeks sometimes 4 weeks if I don't get a chance to do it earlier. I have been doing a gravel vac with each water change and if sometimes I let the tank go to 4 weeks I definitely do one. I know a lot of beneficial bacteria lives in the gravel and am concerned that if I am vaccuming too often am I removing too much good bacteria that should stay in the tank? Just wanted some in put on what others do as far as vaccuming the gravel.

2nd question I am planning on slowly increasing the schools that I now have in the tank. I am definitely setting up a QT for the fish I choose and I know my current stock in my 36g is lower than it should be. A few fish died over time and now am down to 2 cories 5 cherry barbs 2 bleeding heart tetras and 2 rasporas. I did have these fish for a long time so the deaths were not sudden. I have 2 filters in the main tank one which I use for my QT filter and the other is the main filter for the penguin 200. Once I remove one of the filters to use in my QT would it be a good idea to add beneficial bacteria to the 36 g tank to boost it I know there is a liquid you can buy in the fish store but I can't remember the name. I was told that the other filter will be loaded with good bacteria for the QT and helps it cycle faster than without it. Any in put regarding these questions would be great. Sorry so long.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The good BB is firmly attached to the substrate. IME, the gravel vac'ing doesn't really effect the amount of bacteria available, it just removes some of the mulm. I wouldn't bother with additives for the QT. The established filter on it should more than fill your need. The BB colony will rapidly grow, approximately doubling every day to handle the load in the QT. Just monitor and do WC's as needed.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just to add to Bob's advice, I'd be curious to know what your nitrate reading is in PPM. One 50% water change every 2-4 weeks is likely not enough, even with your current stocking. Definitely not enough if you plan to add more stock.

Even if nitrates were not sky high, your GH and KH will eventually ramp up to the point you will have too large of a pH shift for your fish to handle.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Water changes of 50% every 2 weeks are likely ok, every 4 is really pushing it without testing. A nitrate level of 20ppm or less is good, 40 max before a WC, but that's higher than I like.

Do you have live plants? They can help.

Yes, your extra filter is just right for a QT. But be aware, quarantine means 40 days of health ( or at least 4 weeks IMO)...not just a week or so...for each species you want to introduce. Go slow & go healthy!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
The good BB is firmly attached to the substrate. IME, the gravel vac'ing doesn't really effect the amount of bacteria available, it just removes some of the mulm. I wouldn't bother with additives for the QT. The established filter on it should more than fill your need. The BB colony will rapidly grow, approximately doubling every day to handle the load in the QT. Just monitor and do WC's as needed.
Ok thanks...it wasn't the QT I wanted to add the BB to I know the filter that I remove from the main tank will be more than enough but should I add the liquid to the main tank?

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Water changes of 50% every 2 weeks are likely ok, every 4 is really pushing it without testing. A nitrate level of 20ppm or less is good, 40 max before a WC, but that's higher than I like.

Do you have live plants? They can help.

Yes, your extra filter is just right for a QT. But be aware, quarantine means 40 days of health ( or at least 4 weeks IMO)...not just a week or so...for each species you want to introduce. Go slow & go healthy!
Hi yes my ph and nitrate levels have been ok 6.0 and 10-20 nitrate. I usually do wc's every 2 weeks it is very rare that I let it go to 4 weeks I try not to do that it only happens if I have an unusually busy schedule and too tired to do it that I would do that. I don't have live plants in the tank. I have used the QT before and know that the new fish have to be monitored for atleast a month per school of fish I plan to add. Going healthy is the plan definitely. As far as gravel vac for the main tank do you do it for each wc I usually do just wondering if every 2 weeks is too often.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You can gravel vac as much as you desire in a non-planted tank. It won't hurt a thing as like mentioned, what ever beneficial bacteria that resides there will not be removed by doing this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store