quick plant question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
my 80g fully planted only has 74 wpg but I have co2 basic and ferts and iron additive.
root tabs, flourish and iron and it works :)
Some grow more than a foot per month!
I'm allways cutting and replanting, I'm running out of room!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I believe there is iron supplement in my tank box. If not I can go get some.
And if that doesn't help I'll deff add CO2

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
the tips of plants going brown (under ideal conditions) are a sign of lack of iron.
sugar, yeast and a lil backing soda. well within your skills im sure!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Oh yes I could make a CO2 system no problem :)
It is the plant tips so I'll start dosing Iron and work on the CO2. any good DIY threads on AC?

Hahaha just a thought.....
To make homemade wine all you really need to add to the CO2 recipe is juice, would be an awesome multi-task :p

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
good gh and co2 and this package... http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=495 ... will cover everything as far as ferts/plant food is concerned. that package should more than pay for itself over liquid ferts too.

after that it's adjusting your dosage, light, timing, etc.. might take a bit with a different tank to learn it's quirks, but you can't be too far off with another tank doing well.

it does sound like the floaters might be the issue in the 30. a pic of the surface could help determine that.

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
You could dose Seachem Excel for a carbon source aswell. On my 44g, pretty much nothing grows except for anubias and java ferns but in my 15g everything takes off and they are both similar in lighting and same in dosing.. Plants are wierd :) lol.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
full tank shot

Browning leaf

Other Browning leaf

Floating plant cover

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i'd definitely start by taking about 2/3 of that floater out and see how that does for a bit (keeping up with removal to that extent once or twice a week).

when my floaters get like that in my 30 i'll see the same thing. sometimes a little algae starts showing up around my ambulia if it's starved for light enough. i skim the top pretty good leaving a fair amount of open space and almost like magic the tank seems to repair itself.

hmmm... and i'm sorry... my last post may be a little misleading. i would add root tabs to my list of course. osmocote is only $5 for enough to last quite a while, though, so no big deal, really.

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
ya major blockage there!!
Like stated, trim that back to cover no more than a third of your tank surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store