Quietest HOB Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I've decided I just don't like Canister filters. Been running them for years now and I just dread having to clean them. So, I decided to go back to my trusty HOB filters that I love so much. When you're delaying necessary maintenance because you dread the filter you're using, it's time to get rid of your pain point and replace it for the sake of the fish.

Problem is, I need something pretty quiet. I own an Aquaclear 300 AND an Aquaclear 70. I just replaced the impeller and the impeller shaft on the 300 and I lubricated the impeller shaft with petroleum jelly. None of that helped with the noise level. With the cover off the filter, the level is acceptable. With the cover on the filter, it's LOUD. The vibration going all day is completely unacceptable.

So I decided to look at other options. I bought a Whisper 30 to use on another tank, and that thing is just way too loud. I also lubricated the impeller, but was most unhappy with the noise level even after that. So, it's drying now and I am debating returning it to the store. Problem is, Petsmarts return policy says, I need to reuturn it in "sellable condition", which means I need to buy a new cartridge for it. I paid $20 for the filter. I would need to buy a 3 pack of cartridges, which will cost me $10. Might be better to just keep the thing.

Next, I got an Aqueon Quietflow 30. That one made a LOT of noise when I turned it on. But I decided to also lubricate the impeller on this one. And it got nice and quiet after that. Except the design of the filter make it have a continuous splashing sound, which annoys the cr*p out of me.

This tank is in my home office in my basement and I hear it next to me the whole work day. I really need something quieter than any of these options.

There are so many recommendations for the Aquaclear filters, but I own both a 300 and a 70, both with new impeller shafts and impellers and they're noisy. I called Hagen, and they recommended I get a new motor, which I don't want to do. And I also learned Hagen got rid of the Aquaclear lifetime warranty and replaced it with a 2 year warranty. Companies usually do stuff like that when the change their manufacturing process.

I think the only option left that I have not tried is a Penguin.

I had a Penguin Emperor years ago (back when they made single wheel Emperors) when they first came out, and I seem to recall they were relatively quiet.

I know I used to use Second Nature Whisper 2 filters and they were pretty quiet. I had one in the bedroom and I seem to recall that I had no trouble sleeping.

Back to the Aquaclear....

I know all the models except the 110 use the motor with just different impellers. Is the 70 just prone to more noise, because the impeller is moving that much more water on the same motor? Would a 110 be quieter than a 70, since it has a different motor?

I know the Aqua-Tech are made by Marineland for Walmart. They look very similar to the old Penguin, pre-biowheel design. I wonder if those would be any quieter.

I just really want something as quiet as possible in a HOB.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thinking back to the 6 or so different make/model HOBs I've used in the past 5yrs, all of them can be heard from some distance. Living in a loud house as it is, filter noise is a drop in the bucket for me.

The worst is when the lids start rattling on my AC70s and sometimes on the AC30. This has not happened on my AC110.

The newest style HOB I have is my Seachem Tidal 110. It makes a whirring noise, slightly louder than my AC110.

I just don't think you're going to get what you're after in terms of silence with a HOB.

I do agree with you in that I hate having to service my canisters. Lot of potential failure points that you don't have with HOBs or air powered stuff.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I find servicing any filter a hassle, at various levels. It depends on what irritates you. The frequency, time to do so, or the mess potentially involved.

But like cleaning a litter box, it's an expectation for the reward of the pet being maintained.

I prefer canisters. I like the longer intervals between cleanings. Also, I've never met one that was a hassle to do so on.

All HOB's have noise or develop them over time. Even an air driven sponge filter bothers many from the bubble noise. Seems we want the effective benefits of them but want the side effects to disappear.

RUGF by powerhead with a sponge on the intake, is about the only true silent filter.

newaquariumguy

AC Members
Feb 3, 2018
Bow Island Alberta Canada
Real Name
Glen
I am very new at this. I have a 60 gallon with a Fluval 305 and a Fluval 306 on it. I also have a 55 with 2 Aqua Clear 70,s. By far, the 55 is quieter. I am not sure if this is the place for it but on both tanks I have a Fluval E300 heater--I think they are crap. Does anybody else have problems with them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store