Raising Corydoras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
It's been a while since I had cory cats and I had forgotten what prolific egg layers they are. Had a few last week, and today I have them in multiple places on every wall of my 55g. What kind of care do these eggs need to be able to survive? Any chance of that happening in a community tank with rainbows?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There "might" be a few survivors...it depends on you plants & other décor...& fry food that might be available to them.

Can you post a pic? Amber eggs are fertile, white 1s not.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, that second pic looks like fertile eggs!! The first looked white (infertile).

Now, what to do? A separate tank is best...or you can see what happens...maybe a breeder net. Raising fry can be difficult & distressing...but you've been keeping fish for quite a while...Are you up for a challenge & willing to do the hard work needed?...I'm not sure I am anymore unless it's for rare fish, but it's fun a time or 2. If you haven't bred fish, it might be time!! You don't have to decide this minute, if they bred once, they'll do it again. Think about it...

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
I've had guppies give birth before, that's about it. I remembered my prior cories laying eggs regularly but never got anywhere with them. Could be fun, and something to include the kids in. I'll do some more research and see how I might prepare for a future batch.

I do have one of those plastic breeder box things that sticks to the side of the aquarium...

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Congrats! Good luck with the breeding.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
fungus. Remove those eggs.

It often takes a while for both the fish & you to get the hang this breeding thing. Just try again next time...& there will be a next time. Like I said, breeding can be a lot of work but very rewarding too.

What are you water parameters? There should be no ammonia or nitrite & minimal nitrate. You'll need to make sure there is appropriate food available after the egg sac is absorbed, they don't feed until that happens, Fry will need food several times/day & religious waste removal, daily is best. Try again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store