raising mealworms

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

poopshake

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Hello there
Does anyone here raise their own mealworms?
I have started by buying a 50 count small container. I put a slice potatoe on top.
Anyone have any tips on what to do. i keep it in a dark closet around a bit below room temp
thank u

oscar andy

I'm with stupid^
Jan 16, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
I do
All I do is take a shoe box sized tuperwear container, fill in with oat meal, then put a bunch of mealworms in there. every once in a while add some sliced potato, and other fruits and veggies. After a while they will turn to beetles and mate, then they will die. After a few weeks you will see tons of tiny worms in the oat meal, its realy easy, the only problem is that they grow so slow.

poopshake

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
cool
Thanx peeps
OscarAndy: what size do let them grow till until they go to the tank to be eaten

oscar andy

I'm with stupid^
Jan 16, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
it depends on what your feeding. This is actualy the first time doing it and mne just hatched about a 2 weeks ago. I think they are still too small for my fish though. If anyone has any tips on how to get them to grow faster let me know, because I had these for 2 weeks and there about 1/10" long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store