Rampant Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
Definatley will do those treatments. I'm doing some trimming now. And going to plant a few new pieces of wisteria I pickedup( only thing that looks somewhat decent at the LFS...) when you say emerged at first u mean its lower part was hidden? Then yes at the LFS it was. Now where would I cut the wisteria if I did? How far down. And you say plant the tops only so would I throwout the stem? Looking into some other floaters, I tried floating my cuts of wisteria but they are not staying with the flow.

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
I do not know how to delete a post here so I replaced it with "never mind". I was talking about the sun moving during the year and shining on different walls depending on your windows that may be feeding the algae, I read further into your post and realized you already did a black out. Then, tried to delete. Sorry to cause any worries:)

Reactions: Belltrain

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I meant emersed actually, typo sorry. Emersed growth is grown out of the water vs submersed which is below the water.

Bottom left corner is what wisteria looks like when grown under water and the rest is what it looks like when grown out of the water.

The ermersed part of the wisteria can keep growing into the submerged form but personally now that you have it in the submerged form I'd just keep that.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Right about there! Might have to enlarge photo to see my marks.
image.jpg

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
The ermersed part of the wisteria can keep growing into the submerged form but personally now that you have it in the submerged form I'd just keep that.
Plus with those bare stems I don't KNOW if it'd be worth keeping the lower part. That just my opinion.

Reactions: Wild West

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
So a bit of an update. Algae has been reduced significantly. I've been keeping the photo period at about 6 hours. My question is I havnt been seeing as much growth. When can I bring the light back to 8 hours without causing an algae outbreak again? Maybe my tank can only handle 6 hours? I've been putting off cutting the wisteria and replanting it. The fish love to play in the "trees", I call them. I guess over time if I cut and replant them they will grow just as tall and even more bushy?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store