Regal Tang Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryrazzer

AC Members
Nov 1, 2004
2 weeks ago i bought a regal to go with my 2 clown fish. He seems very happy, and is swimming around and has a very healthy diet, which he always eats.
Today i noticed that on his body, there seem to be slightly raised black spots down both sides. They are only visible if you look real close, and if he stays still long enough!
I have noticed him scratching against the live rock. He only does it every so often.
I have been reading about ich, but most cases seem to involve white spots, where as mine has none, just the black ones i mentioned above.
I do a water change once a week.
Is this something to worry about or am i been paranoid?
I also have a cleaner shrimp who the tang seems to keep visiting. Will he clean him of any parasites?
Many thanks

Last edited:

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
You are correct my friend, ich usually appears as white spots, but the dark spots could be pathogens also. Very hard to say from here; some hepatus will show dark "freckles" as part of normal coloration. Scratching is another difficult symptom; while some scratching is normal, excessive rubbing/twitching and other signs of irritation are not good. Did you quarantine this tang? If not, then I would encourage it now, the 4-week QT procedure for all new arrivals is essential to your long term success in the hobby... nowhere is this more essential than for tangs, the "ich magnets" of the industry.

Last edited:

ryrazzer

AC Members
Nov 1, 2004
No i did not QT him as I only have the one tank but he was in his own tank in the store for quite a while.
The iching is far from aggressive and ive only noticed him doing it every so often.
Im going to the store today to see what they say.
Like i said he seems fine. Breathing and eating is normal.

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Unfortunately, even a fish that has been "inventoried" for a while can carry pathogens that can/will wipe out your entire system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store