Replacement glass for a 55gal hexagon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mditt8671

AC Members
Mar 25, 2013
Is there anywhere that can custom-cut glass that would be suitable to replace a pane in a 55 gallon hexagon aquarium? The aquarium was made in 1999, and apparently no one makes glass hex aquariums of that size anymore. It was my girlfriend's father's aquarium... he passed away in November of last year and we were hoping to get it up and running again but I unfortunately cracked a pane while transporting it. So, we'd really like to repair this one for sentimental reasons.

Of course the biggest issue in getting replacement glass cut would be beveling the edges so that they interface with the other wall panes at the correct (not 90 degree) angles... is there any shop that will cut/grind angles like anymore?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would imagine any local glass store should be able to help you out.

Looking on Google is likely be the easiest way to find somewhere local. Unless you post your location, people might be able to suggest somewhere specific.

mditt8671

AC Members
Mar 25, 2013
Yeah I've been calling around but so far everywhere around here that "cuts glass" just does the 90 degree square cuts. Didn't know if there was a specialty place you guys were aware of that specialized in aquarium glass. I have an inquiry out with Glass Cages, waiting for a response.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Possibly a place that normally deals in mirrors/picture frames or even doors/windows.

mditt8671

AC Members
Mar 25, 2013
GlassCages can't do it. :(

Maybe I'd have better luck seeing if I can find someone with a broken hex aquarium laying around...

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Does it have to be glass. Have you tried a plastic store.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My other concern would be with removing the top and bottom frames without breaking them. Those would likely be impossible to replace. Not sure you could replace one of the glass panels with out at least removing the top frame.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Good point, Joel. It's not just finding the right angle of glass cut...the whole remove & reattach the rims that might be a major deal breaker for me ;)

mditt, maybe think of a terrarium use for this tank? Something that doesn't have to be water tight to honor your GF's father & get another tank like a standard 75g for lots of fish & plant options.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

mditt8671

AC Members
Mar 25, 2013
I already have a 90g freshwater tank. We were really hoping to make a cichlid tank out of this one. I've placed a craigslist ad for a donor tank; I guess we'll see what happens!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store