Reseal used old 55g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DavesTanks

AC Members
Sep 6, 2019
Ok tomorow i may be getting a used old 55 gal tank. I know it has a leak in one corner. Being old and unknown should i just reseal the inside or completely disassemble the whole aquarium and replace all the silicone?. I dont really like the idea of a flood on my hardwood floor lol

FEEC0FC6-5EE9-4BFB-8B39-DAFBB2D7FFAE.jpeg

3DEAAC4B-DBC9-460D-A979-73BC41C017A9.jpeg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I would clean that tank up very well before you even consider whether to attempt a reseal. You may decide it isn't clear enough for you to view the fish.

Having said that, what I've done in the past is to remove the interior fillets of silicone using multiple razor blades, clean the glass well with denatured alcohol, let dry and reseal.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
^^yes, like he said. Resealing isn't too hard but preparation is all! Remove all silicone you can with a razor blade... except for between the glass panels, you don't want to go there!

Remove any silicone residue with rubbing alcohol. Practice with silicone & a caulking gun on a cardboard box. Then, when you know how that works...tape off all the seams, top & bottom, all sides both edges...& caulk. Without goofing around, remove the tape before it dries. With a wet finger smooth all the seals. Bottom to sides, sides to sides, like that... being very aware of the corner seals. This is why practicing is important, you need to do it fairly fast. .but not in "panic mode".

I've resealed tanks many times, you can do it!

Reactions: dudley

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
Old tanks like that aren't worth resealing and tanking a chance on leaking. Or worse. Petco sale is running now. Better off to buy a new one and not worry. And yes, I have resealed many, many tanks since I was buying used tanks all the time. Out of the current 100 I have I've resealed at least 24 of them. I won't reseal any of them that I can get for $1 per gallon. Not worth it.

Reactions: Rbishop and dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store