Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

RO questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by FishyWarrior, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FishyWarrior

FishyWarrior AC Members

Alyssa
    Jul 9, 2018
    Alyssa
    I've been thinking about getting an rodi system set up for my freshwater tanks since i believe it will improve the quality of life for my fish. I wanted some clarification since a lot of this is a little intimidating to someone who's not very tech savvy or knowlegable on the subject. I haven't done a whole lot of research yet, i would just like to know the gist of things before i get into it.
    So this kind of system would let me make water however i want correct? My tap water is very hard and the ph is quite high for my liking at around 8.0+. I would definitely prefer it to be neutral 7.0.
    Does the water just come out pure and then requires supplements to be added afterwards to change it to what i want? Is that with every water change?
    Assuming that is how it works, what would the process be like to transition my tanks to this new water? Would it be a slow process or something that requires me to remove all my fish and change all the water at once? I have hardier fish, but would that be too stressful for them?

2. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Today at 2:30 AM
    Jessica
    I do not think an RO/DI unit makes the water "better". How hard is your water? What kind of fishes do you plan on keeping. Many of the fishes "like" hard water== Live Bearers, African Cichlids, and even many of the Central American Cichlids like their water hard.

3. FishyWarrior

FishyWarrior AC Members

Alyssa
    Jul 9, 2018
    Alyssa
    I don't specifically know how hard it is, but other people in my area always talk about how hard the water is and how frustrating it is for their fish. One of these days i will actuallly test it myself.
    Right now i have mostly livebearers, swordtails, guppies, platys, but also a few rainbow fish, dwarf synodontis cats, cories, otos, and bettas. I've been getting more livebearers because of the fact that they prefer my kind of water. But now my sister's been talking about wanting an axolotl, and from what i've read it seems like they will only tolerate low ph and soft water. I could be wrong though? I also wanted to eventually make a nano tank, considering endlers, apistos, chili rasbora and shrimp. I haven't done a whole lot of research on them all yet since this would be more of a ways off from now so i don't know what their specific requirements are.

4. ustabefast

ustabefast AC Members

Gregg
    Today at 8:10 AM
    Gregg
    An RODI unit should take your tds level so low that you would have to add back some minerals or mix some tap water to bring the tds up a bit.
    You would have to add back minerals with every water change to keep parameters stable.

It does not sound like you need one of these however. because most softwater fish do fine in harder water unless you have well water or are planning to breed them.

If you do decide to go RODI, you could just add the RO water when you do water changes, like 25%, until parameters are where you want them.
    Then you would want to add some minerals or just mix in tapwater to keep parameters stable.