Root tabs or fertilized substrated for carpet plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dan89

AC Members
Jan 3, 2017
I have to pick up the substrate for my future tank, which will have several carpet plants (Hemianthus Callitrichoudes, Staurogyne Repens). I have 2 options:

1) Fertilized substrate (Dennerle DeponitMix) + Quartz gravel 1/2mm
2) Quartz gravel 1/2mm + root tabs

What i fear about fertilized substrate is the possible mixing with the gravel in case of change to the layout or replating of some plants, so this makes me lean towards option 2. But my concern is that root tabs won't be as effective as the fertilized substrate.

What do you think? Can the root tabs perfectly substitute the fertilized substrate maintaining the same effectiveness?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I have limited experience with those plants but they didn't seem happy for me in Eco Complete & roots tabs...for long, no co2. I have not done a fert/soil substrate. Stauro was much, much better than HC...I want to say "almost" good...but not really long term.

What lighting? Mine were "mid-range" T-5s at best. CO2? that can make all the difference...from what I hear, but haven't done, yet (soon).

Dan89

AC Members
Jan 3, 2017
Lightning is Not a problem (104w on 100 net liters) and I will have CO2.

As mentioned, my only doubt is wether to provider root fertilization by fertilized substrate or by root tabs

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I prefer the substrate, since that doesn't require disturbng the carpet to replace the root tabs. Root tabs are great for plants like crypts and swords, where some of the substrate will be exposed. Less ideal with carpet.

Kuhli Loach 11

Registered Member
Dec 30, 2016
I used to have one 10 gallon planted tank, In which I had a dense "forest" of water wisteria, a plant that usually requires substrate fertilizer, but I didn't use any. Instead, I put 1000 grams of my favorite bio-media, Filter plus, which allowed me to not have to vacuum the substrate (By removing any and all Ammonia/Nitrates/Nitrites). That made it so that the fish poop could naturally fertilize the plants. Go for the Quarts gravel, and get some filter plus on Amazon. (Sorry, I just got a membership here, so I can't post a link)
BTW Filterplus is very decorative

Last edited:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Is there something causing the necessity of only using either of those 2 choices?

I'm really not a big fan of having multiple layers of substrates, as IME they all end up mixed together in the end, and I don't like the look of mixed substrates like that.

My personal preference would be, potentially, to mineralize some sort of substrate with a high CEC (if needed) and use only that.

Also, the effectiveness of light isn't dependent on the amount of power used to create it, nor the volume of water that it will be lighting, Dimensions and PAR would effectively do this, or looking for people with the same light fixture and their tank and using their own experiences.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store