Rope fish on the verge of death

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jamie chambers

AC Members
Jan 1, 2020
Unfortunately it seems both of my newly bought rope fish have dropsy only 4 days of being in their new home. I am a new fish keeper and got my first tank only this Christmas. I was looking forward to keeping my snakelike friends for at least a third of their 15-20 year lifespan until I could give them away as I would be leaving for university. They both have a bloated underside of their bellies and cloudy eyes. I feel like this may have been my fault, despite my endeavouring research beforehand, as I visited my local LFS 2 weeks before I got them and they seemed perfectly fine, in what it looked like was a small 40 litre aquarium, then moving them into my 60 gallon aquarium they got dropsy.

If anyone can give feedback on at least why this tradgedy happened I would love to hear it. I feel as if they may die by tomorrow because I don't have a suitable medicinal hospital tank. Not a very good start to 2020 but I have to realise that these things do happen, especially with such wondrous creatures like fish.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Did you cycle the new aquarium and if so, how?

Post the water test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Not uncommon for fish to be sick when you get them, but like dudley mentioned above, an uncycled tank will not help them.

We need lots more info from you to help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store