Rope Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pierre_john

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
Smithers, BC, Canada
Just wandering if anyone has this fish. I have two but I rarly see them, I just learned that they like a bit of salt in the water. I added some aquarium salt to the tank but I have not seen any difference in them at all. Any helpful hints?

H8Parrotfish 13

I kill Parrotfish for your own good
I think i know what you might have.

Except the LFS called it a Rope Eel.

It's somekind of Bichir

Anyway they are very harder and i used to feed mine seeking pellets like Shrimp or Bloodworms. He also use to love the occasional earthworm.

He died by jumping out of the tank.
So if necessary keep i tight secure lid.

GVT

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Gulfport, MS
Visit site
I had one for two years. They are very much a noctournal fish. They are actually an African Rope Fish and yes I mean fish. Mine was semi-active during daylight hours, he went to the top for air (Labrynth fish). I believe they can reach 2' + in size. It was a good addition to my tank....it responded well to the other fish.

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
We have 2 ropefish in one of our tanks with several other fish. There's a Jack Dempsey, peacock cichlids, frontosa, kribensis, crayfish, plecos, convicts, rainbow fish, gudgeons and some snails. They've been together for several months now and we've not had any problems. You will want to make sure the hood of your tank has absolutely no holes that they can escape from. They can live outside of the water for an estimated 4-6 hours but I wouldn't take the chance.
Our ropefish go through periods where they are always out and when they always hide. I guess it's just their nature. Despite being "bottom feeders," ours have also learned to come to the top and eat with the other fish or they're going to miss out. They are really a neat addition to the aquarium. They like their own species for company and will sometimes eat small fish so make sure you don't keep anything else in the tank that will fit in their mouths, just to be safe. ;)

GVT

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Gulfport, MS
Visit site
I cannot think of too many fish that were not in the tank with the rope fish at one time or another. It was a very established tank that I used to house many different fish on occasion. It never reacted poorly to any fish. From blue-dolphin and frontosas to silver dollars and severums. I know these fish don't share the same water requirements. However, this tank would be considered split between new and old world cichlid requirements. I never lost a fish or witnessed poor behavior from the fish in a three year period.

I feel the fish now are currently so far removed from the original water requirements...that many things are possible without ill effects. I always watch my fish closely and do have several tanks with special water requirements; it's just not always necessary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store