Rosy red?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Our church did a halloween festival this year. To my dismay, they had the pingpong toss, win a "goldfish". Not happy that my wife, knowing me, participated with my daughter. So we got a "goldfish" to bring home. I had a 2.5 G hex I had previously used for local native plants, but had a lapse in mainenance early october and it failed. I cleaned up the 2.5 and put the little $#!t in there and did little other than feed it and change a little water every few days. It is alive, with a filter and food. I was sure it was not a goldfish, and am 99% sure now it is a rosy red minnow. I hate that I have to spend a lot of time and money on this, but I should have done more from the get go. It's a critter in my care, and I will do for it the same as any other critter.

So What do I need here? I could use some spare UGF plates and a 10 gallon I have and would only have to buy an air pump to power the UGF. Do I need a heater if my home is normally not under 70? Would that fish alone in a 10 gallon be OK long term? Would I be able to do anything else, even if it was just another one of the same?

:nutkick:<------- I feel like the yellow guy

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
No heater and a single fish in a 10gal is fine. These are rough little minnows and can be very aggressive if not kept in schools of 8-10. I was feeding my pike livebearers and tossed in a bunch of rosy reds. They immediately ate all but four of them. The four remaining attacked a 1 1/2" crayfish that was not molting at the time. I was doing water changes when I noticed and decided to move the crayfish when I was done, about 10 min. When I went back they had already killed the poor thing and were tearing it up and eating it. The pike livebearers got the last laugh, but I lost a good crayfish. I've also read they are cave spawners, go figure. One other thing for anyone reading this, a local guy here in Missouri put these fish in a 1,500 gal Koi pond and the population exploded fouling out the pond water because the filter couldn't handle it.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Rosy reds are a domesticated bullhead minnow. Hardy down to temps in the 40s or lower and will tolerate mid 80s. Just needs water flow enough to keep the oxygen levels up. I have one that didn't get eaten by my Creek Chub and it is quiet compared to them.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
This is the kind of quick replies AC is known for! Thanks guys. I could have done a little more research, but I was thinking about this last night and my eyes were too tired to sift through all the info.

So basically I'm stuck with this guy alone, or can I at least get 2 more? Seems like any kind of invert will be a snack, and not much else would do in an unheated 10 gallon.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Get a Cherax Destructor. It won't eat the fish, but it won't take no guff either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store