Rules to live by...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockhead44

AC Members
Dec 10, 2001
New York
Great post !I just wanted to add that The weight of the tank rests on the feet of the stand.Like a women in spiked heels all the weight ends up on the point of the spiked heel.I am not sure of the weight of a 55 gal. tank is but it adds up after the water,gravel and rocks.I am referring to a steel stand,In a cabinet stand it would be distributed differently.Just keep this in mind when setting up the tank.I also agreed that I suggest to every one new to this hobby get a book and study all aspects of fish keeping.I too never add any fish to any tanks that I know do not belong in there.This also goes with anything else that they might think of putting in there like bottom materials,wood,rock, meds,fertilizers,plants and dirty hands.And if you are not sure just post the question.This place is great!Just my two cents.

christopher1260

Expert Novice
Nov 2, 2002
Athens, OH
community.webshots.com
my best advice for a beginner is to buy a huge tank. seriously. if you don't, you'll end up spending a lot on a small tank, then doing it all over again on a larger. also, water chemistry remains more constant in a larger tank. i would recommend at least a 55. that's just my opinion, i could be wrong...

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I think it equals out to about 8 lbs per 1 gallon of water plus the filter, substrate, stones, deco and all that other fun stuff added to the tank plus the tank itself.......making a 55 gallon 440 lbs plus all the hooplah.;)

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
full month? what if my fish store already does that?

hrm...I would say vaccum regularly if you dont have a planted tank, otherwise your tank will be SICK.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store