Rummynose Tetras dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MR10

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Houston, TX
I wanted to provide an update so that this topic can be helpful for future readers. As I said, I had put all fish in quarantine for a few days without any additional casualties but after reintroducing them to the main tank, they started dying again one by one. I ended up putting all the fish back in quarantine. I treated them with ich-x, general cure and maracyn during which a few more fish died. A week later I treated them with Furan 2 but didn't have any additional casualties.

I also stripped and bleached the display tank and all equipment. Bleach dipped all the wood as much and as long as I was comfortable with not causing discoloration. I also replaced all filter media and started a fishless cycle from scratch. I also added a UV sterilizer and CupriSorb as extra precautions. The fish have been reintroduced three days ago and all appears good.

This may have been over the top and was in some ways a last "all-in" attempt. After losing a bunch of African cichlids due to aggression I was not ready for another set of problems, but I'm glad I didn't give up on the hobby and took these drastic steps.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Just an FYI re quarantine. This is not a couple of days or a couple of weeks process. The absolute minimum time I will quarenteen new tank raised fish from a decent source is 30 consecutive days with no symptoms of deaths at all. Any sign of disease or any death resets the calander to 0 days once it is dealt with. For wild caught fish, especially if they come to me directly from am importer/trans shipper the time is 90 days.

A lot of the serious problems do not show up immediately. Its not like ich or external parasites or stringy white poop which one can see very soon after new fish arrive. I realize this seems like a long time. However, if you have a tank of prized fish which have been with you for a while, the risk of short or no Q at all can be devastating.

I can could on my fingers the number of people from whom I get fish where is would risk no Q. These are people with greater fish keeping skills than mine whom I have known for some time and even then I am wart.

Also, I bever treat new fish prophylactically. I need to know what I am treating unless it is a really desperate situation.

Just my opinion, as always, But I can tell you I have fw tanks which contain fish worth thousands of dollars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store