S. Petricola problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I have 4 Syn.Petricolas, they've been in the tank pretty much from the beginning,2 years. Their behavior has changed and so have they. 1. they come to the top and bob their heads out of the water. I thought maybe the water needed more then the every 2 week changes I can do in the summer, went back to once a week changing 30% of a 75g sometimes a bit more. 2 of them have gotten so thin! I was putting down more food for them late at night hoping the other fish were in their sleep mode and would leave it alone. The PH on the tank was 7.0-7.2 when I got them, I know in the wild the ph is higher for them but the breeder I bought them from said his ph was 7.0 and I didn't have to worry. Again that was 2 years ago they've been fine. 2. Now the PH has gone down to 6.0-6.4, maybe the mopani wood caused that? How can I raise the ph naturally? 3.Last year I got 2 super red BNs pleco's and one whiptail, could that be a problem, again I put food in everyones area, in fact I probably put too much sometimes. I feel awful because they are one of my favorites. The other params are 0 for ammonia, 0 for nitrites and 0-5ppm for nitrates, not alot but a good amount of plants, the substrate is pfs and caribsea gravel. I'd appreciate any ideas, whatever I'm doing doesn't seem to be working. All the other fish are fine and thriving.

yourfishstuff

M.A.N. Community Vendors
Sep 22, 2012
www.yourfishstuff.com
Your water params look fine and you don't have any aggressive fish that would bother the synos or that would hog their food. Do you offer them sinking wafers or other foods that would allow them to feed?

I would say that 6.0 ph is on the low side for them. Mopani wood is one of the harder woods, but it too will eventually release tannins into your tank, which could lower your ph. But, you say you are doing lots of water changes, so that would help to off-set the wood. Having lived in Brooklyn I know the water is soft to neutral. What is the water currently measuring out of your tab?

To raise your ph 'naturally' most folks used crushed coral added to your filter (placed inside a media bag). But, doing so in your tank would not benefit the other fish which all do better in lower ph.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I put sinking wafers or shrimp pellets for them also zuchinni or cucumber they like alot. A few of them don't seem to be eating and they've gotten sooo thin it's scary. I change the water once a week, in fact I'm home today and going to do that after this. I figured just get the water back to a neutral 7.0 would be better then such a low ph I have now. Also the behavior of being up on top of the water and bobbing their heads is weird, they always hid behind rocks or wood or in a cave, it's just seems strange. Actually if your the vender who was at the BAS meeting a while back I bought food from you that the all love, hope you guys come back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store