salt in fresh h2o

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gravitycure

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Visit site
i am a new 10 gallon tank owner. a friend recommended putting a 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the tank. it is a week into fishy cycle, i have 1 platy, 3 zebras, 1 penguin & 2 plastic plants.

thanks. frank.

DrDeath

AC Members
Apr 30, 2002
New York
Visit site
Some do.....some don't. I am among the don'ts. I have a 37g eclipse system and have never had any major major problems. I have heard of adding salt as a disease cure or in brackish(i think) tanks. Hopefully someone else has a better answer/reason for you!

DrD

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Welcome to AqC :D

Some folks use a bit of salt as a remedy for different ailments, especially Ich (along with elevated temps). This article has probably more than you want to know, but you asked :rolleyes: .

The short answer is "no" you don't need any salt as a general conditioner.

RTR (the author) is one of the most expert of the locals.

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
In the 6 yrs that I have had tanks and with all the fish that I have had I have never had any know ailments. I use morten's "non iodized" salt and stress coat. Never ever had to buy meds or anything else chem wise.

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
hi GravityCure

Welcome to Aquaria Central, home of the most old salts on the internet :)

The literature always states that platies, mollies and guppies do well with salt added to the water, usually in the 1 tablespoon to five gallon range. Although that does not take into account what your current water parameters are. I've always added a bit of salt (but I don't measure it, just a small handful) every couple of water changes to my Goldfish tanks, and they seem to do fine. I am currently maintaining a tank for a friend that is guppies and mollies -- the mollies are doing great and the guppies not so well. I added salt the first three water changes and to the original tank, but the last 3 changes I've added none. I'm going to go back to adding salt...

Basically, in small amounts, I don't think salt will hurt. It is VERY important though, that if you do add salt, you do regular water changes. Y'see, the water in your tank will evaporate, but the salt will remain. So, if you keep adding salt in your water, but because of evaporation, you add less water into your tank than you siphon out with your water changes, you will be building a greater salt density, and this is bad. So, you have to be a little more rigorous in your water changes if you go this route.

Sorry for the wishy-washy answer, but salt is a wishy-washy kind of subject.

Val

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Salt generally isn't needed, but if you're cycling with fish, salt will help the fish not feel the ill effects of the nitrite spike. A couple of teaspoons per ten gallons of water should make them more comfortable. Otherwise, salt is unnecessary.

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store